X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What plumbers charge.

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have some issues with the water supply valves for the sink and dishwasher...the shut-offs drip. So I figure while I have everything cleared out, let me call in a plumber and get new shut-offs installed. I called a large firm, with a big ad in the Yellow Pages and the tech showed up that day. He looked at what I had and said, "We get $233 per shut-off and $175 if I have to go down in the crawl-space!!

I told him it seems high to me and he says, "That's what we get".

"Well OK, thanks for stopping bye I'll try to do it myself", says me.

"With what? bubblegum?", he replies.

"No, I'll get some pex and Sharbites and give it a try", I answered.

My point is, with the economy being what it is, I think his quote was on the high side, for a simple job.

Re: What plumbers charge.

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
    ..."Well OK, thanks for stopping bye I'll try to do it myself", says me...
    I hope you paid him something for his gas.

Th.is much of why I do everything myself.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Our Illegal Aliens would never stand for that.They've got Handywork prices driven down to $25.00 per hour.That is if you schedule work on your regular yard day.

Comment

No service charge? I'm surprised he left empty handed. I give price shoppers prices on the phone,saves everyones time and my gas With a 15 min travel time and one hour work once I arrive with 2 sweat on stops and water supplies your bill would be between 175-150 for replacing both hot and cold valves. Notice i gave the higher price 1st...some people only hear the 1st number you spit out Sure I always say if everything is typical and currently proper except that the valves are leaking and if other work is needed to complete the job we will discuss that after I arrive and see exactly what you have wrong.

Comment

Well, a large firm with a big yellow page ad, that is able to get a plumber to your door that day has to charge them rates or he will be out of businesses. Them large ads are not cheap, then there is the issue of being licensed, bonded and insured. Then the company has to pay its employees, plus tons of other daily overhead costs. No the way the plumber responded to you was not appropriate, that I will agree with.

There was a shop out here that had double page ads in the phone books, billboard ads, cable TV ads, all his trucks where wrapped. His guys would put on a clean jump suit and booties as they entered your home. Guess what I heard from lots of his customers, they all said he charged way to much.

You have to look at what business has to offer you as a triangle. The first point of the triangle would be quality service, the second point is Time (how quick they can service you) and the third point is cost, how much they charge you.

Now they can only offer two of the points in the triangle as for the third it will suffer. So if offered quick time and quality repairs, his cost will be high. If he offers quick time and good cost, then the quality usually suffers. Now if they offer great service at a good price, everyone will be calling them and they might not make it out for a couple days, so as you can see time suffers. A good company will have a balance of all three. Sadly only way to find out is to call them. And do not get me wrong some my be high priced and get there in a good time and their service is still bad, that makes fora bad company.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

$466 is very high......no matter what his costs are, that kind of sh#t gives us all a bad name. I would have been around $160 for 2 stops.

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
              $466 is very high......no matter what his costs are, that kind of sh#t gives us all a bad name. I would have been around $160 for 2 stops.

Vette, The guy I was talking about around here charged $425 to just reset a water closet. Angle stops he would of charged around $400+ for the job as well. I would of charged $270 at the most for both angle stops.

Comment

I wish we could get away with those prices. I'd be home by 10:30am every day watching cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I wish we could get away with those prices. I'd be home by 10:30am every day watching cartoons.
                  I would love to get their prices, as long as I do not get their overhead.

Comment

I find the fact that business owners here are supporting the OP here very disturbing. The " I would have done it cheaper" rationale is the core reason why most of you are struggling and starving. YOU CHARGE WHATEVER YOU NEED TO PAY THE DAMN BILLS AND MAKE A REASONABLE PROFIT! If you continue to base your prices on what the competition is charging than your business is just another turd circling the drain How much lower are we going to go? While every thing else goes up, we go down because god forbid we don't take on every crappy, non paying, deadbeat job that crosses our desks.

"I never lost a cent on a job I did not do" Who's quote is that?
                    sigpic

Comment

Exactly.. most small outfits don't have the overhead that larger co's. have . Lets face it anyone can usually meet or beat a prices that's given to them ..within reason.That was awfully high to change 2 stops.. I would charge 1/2 hr. min. and the cost of the stop and would have still made a killing .. just me though..His 1st 1/2 hr . must be very high and then jacks up the valves 100% ... Reread and saw that was just for 1 valve...What a fleecing sorry
                      Last edited by OLD1; 02-02-2011, 11:52 AM.
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        You can. try it, you will be amazed. When I see a company charging those rates I know the company is run by a competent manager instead of some poor schmuck running the company out of his van.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                          "No, I'll get some pex and Sharbites and give it a try", I answered.

Will Rogers Plumbing
                          Moore, Oklahoma
                          (
                          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

nh. toutahnow. breid...........................

Comment

You have to remember most small outfits don't have the call volume that these big companies have or the over head.

When small companies don't have a high call volume and don't charge enough they close shop in a few years or less due to not charging enough and unexpected costs like repairs, slow downs etc. I'm called a rip off all the time and I'm now the most expensive because I charge more than the average small shop.
                              Because of this I have been able to stay open and all the others went out of business. This economy has made everyone to shy to charge what they need to make a profit and stay open. Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.
                              I would love to ask a customer what would you charge? Hand them a copy of our overhead and ask them how can you keep this business running charging only this?? Oh and you have to feed your family too!
                              Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM.
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X