Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet Stopped Up

Originally posted by Any Small Job Plumbing View Post
    I've cleared a lot of toilets at a lab, seems the ladies would always drop pens in them.
    I'd auger them and it would flush fine till you put toilet paper in it then the pen would grab the paper
    I would remove the toilet, run my auger through it ( it would go past the pen) then when the auger was hanging out the bottom of the toilet I would tie a rag onto my auger and pull it back out .... generally the pen would come out that way.

the worst clog I ever had was also at a burger king and also a kids burger king toy... the toilet was over flowing with you know what so I kept pushing my auger in it praying it would get through whatever was in there... after an hour I gave up and scopped out the bowl and then pulled the toilet to auger from the discharge hole..... after turning it over I saw a toy train.. I could not push it back and could not get it out the discharge hole... I tried for another hour and then started pulling the toy with a pair of very long needle nose pliers but could not get it out so I started drilling holes in the toy so I could rip pieces of it off ... after an hour I got it out... by the time I reinstalled the toilet then cleaned up about 4 hours had gone by....
    I should have just replaced the toilet but the company I worked for didn't have a flushometer style toilet at the shop and it was a saturday so I did what I had to.... but NEVER again!!

I suspect that the marker got past the first turn by the toilet being flushed over and over...couldn't get it close enough to grab with 14" pliers...and I surely agree 4 hours never again...!!!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I've come across a lot of wierd things in toilets. If they don't come out easy and they are made of plastic it is easy enough to take your torch and destroy them from the bottom side of the toilet. Kid's toys, cell phones, pens, they all shrivel up pretty quick and come out with ease. Never damaged a toilet.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        I've come across a lot of wierd things in toilets. If they don't come out easy and they are made of plastic it is easy enough to take your torch and destroy them from the bottom side of the toilet. Kid's toys, cell phones, pens, they all shrivel up pretty quick and come out with ease. Never damaged a toilet.
        I talked to the manager and I plan on taking the old toilets to my office and trying the torch thing...if it works then I will keep them as backup as they fit all the same stores...if it don't then oh well...good idea..let ya know...thanks!!

Derek

Comment

Cell phone but I always tell the customer that it's better to go ahead and get a new toilet because the effort of a plumber comes with a cost, and most times if someone can't retrieve it in 10 minutes, it's jammed and won't return.

For the most part the customer always follows that line of thinking instead of paying for the attempt.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
            Cell phone but I always tell the customer that it's better to go ahead and get a new toilet because the effort of a plumber comes with a cost, and most times if someone can't retrieve it in 10 minutes, it's jammed and won't return.

For the most part the customer always follows that line of thinking instead of paying for the attempt.

If I know ahead of time its a cell phone ...I just immediately turn the toilet upside down and screw around with it...but yea its crappy deal either way...

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post

***Update--took toilet back to shop...torched it as suggested...AWESOME...thnx so much!!!***
              Attached Files

Derek

Comment

Glad it worked out. The first time I did that was at a customer's house. The little girl dropped a doll in the toilet and tried to flush it. I had to give the parents the bad news that a cremation was the last resort.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Time is money...for the customer also. If I cannot get it from the top in a reasonable amount of time, I will pull it and check if I can snake from the bottom. If it still will not go, it is almost always more cost effective to recomend replacing the toilet. Cheaper in the long run, and lets face it, many of those toilets are quite old and could use an upgrade to a low flush model anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                    Time is money...for the customer also. If I cannot get it from the top in a reasonable amount of time, I will pull it and check if I can snake from the bottom. If it still will not go, it is almost always more cost effective to recomend replacing the toilet. Cheaper in the long run, and lets face it, many of those toilets are quite old and could use an upgrade to a low flush model anyway.
                    Normally yes, however this was a newly remodel bathroom with high end fixtures in a store...so they said try for a couple hours...whats a guy to do except follows their order...its their money not mine...wait it will be mine!!

Derek

Comment

I have had good luck sucking it out with a wet vac. Yesterday it was a ink pen and last week it was a stalk of some kind of food plant 1" by 4" long. Sure saved a lot of time not pulling the toilet. Of course I try the auger first and then the vac.

Comment

Working...
                      X