X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Stopped Up

Had to go to a retail store this morning for a single clogged toilet...hand augered stool to get it flushing. But still acted funny so I pulled it up and looked in it with a ridgid micro snake camera. Saw a large magic marker. Got manager to look at and he showed me the one they sell...I measured it at 6" long. I could hook it with a clothes hanger but it would not make the turn at the bottom. So I flipped the toilet and tried from the top. 4 hours later I gave up. I basically told manager to call corporate maintenance to order a new toilet and have me come back to install it. Then he says got another toilet in front of store. So go up there and same freaking thing. Here be the question...what have you ever came across that you could not extract...and has anybody ever came across this and what results did u get...possible how do you get it out? In all my extracting of objects the only other thing I could not get out was a rawhide knuckle a dog dropped in the toilet and swelled up.
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Toilet Stopped Up

There once was a post, I think on this site, at a Burger King where one of those kids meal toys was stuck inside a closet. Plumber filled toilet with alcohol or something and lit it on fire. Worked for him. Never tried it my self.

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoplummr View Post
      There once was a post, I think on this site, at a Burger King where one of those kids meal toys was stuck inside a closet. Plumber filled toilet with alcohol or something and lit it on fire. Worked for him. Never tried it my self.

WTF...are you shi**ing me? I would like think the toilet would like explode or something....

Derek

Comment

Broke a toilet once trying to get a piece of 2x4 outta it. The wood swelled up and it wouldn't move. I tried to chisel it out and it cracked the bowl

Comment

Had an apple stuck in one. The auger would punch right through the middle of it but I couldn't push or pull it back. Ended up smashing the bowl just to see WTH it was.

Comment

Pumice Stone on a rope. I got it though. Like trying to figure out an Amish puzzle.

J.C.

Comment

a toddlers shoe. got one out, just smashed the bowl to get the second out.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

years ago rookie plumber had a cell flip phone caught in a public restaurant toilet.

he couldn't get it out, but did take a diamond grinder to show the owner the phone that's lodged in the toilet. he had it on display at his shop.

i do very, very little apartment work. these tend to have more issues as tennants get evicted.

there is a bar i do work at, but they tend to break the fixtures, more than plug the fixtures.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

At one of dad's rental houses the tennants had flushed a canning jar lid that would flip open and closed driving him crazy. He wound up breaking the toilet to show the tennant that yes, in fact, it was their fault.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

just to ask but when you flipped the toilet upside down did you try to run the auger threw the back side of the toilet I have done this with great suckses
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                      just to ask but when you flipped the toilet upside down did you try to run the auger threw the back side of the toilet I have done this with great suckses

Yes...appeared that the cable would slip past the marker...sometimes it would stay behind it but the marker would then bind up trying to make the turn

Derek

Comment

I use some copper ground wire and bend it how i need to and grab it looking in a mirror.....A wrap of elec tape keeps the marks off the bowl

Comment

like del

napa mirror and #4 bare ground wire that i just happen to have on truck. also use a napa pick up tool. after bending a few times i buy a new one. breid.............

Comment

I've cleared a lot of toilets at a lab, seems the ladies would always drop pens in them.
                            I'd auger them and it would flush fine till you put toilet paper in it then the pen would grab the paper
                            I would remove the toilet, run my auger through it ( it would go past the pen) then when the auger was hanging out the bottom of the toilet I would tie a rag onto my auger and pull it back out .... generally the pen would come out that way.

the worst clog I ever had was also at a burger king and also a kids burger king toy... the toilet was over flowing with you know what so I kept pushing my auger in it praying it would get through whatever was in there... after an hour I gave up and scopped out the bowl and then pulled the toilet to auger from the discharge hole..... after turning it over I saw a toy train.. I could not push it back and could not get it out the discharge hole... I tried for another hour and then started pulling the toy with a pair of very long needle nose pliers but could not get it out so I started drilling holes in the toy so I could rip pieces of it off ... after an hour I got it out... by the time I reinstalled the toilet then cleaned up about 4 hours had gone by....
                            I should have just replaced the toilet but the company I worked for didn't have a flushometer style toilet at the shop and it was a saturday so I did what I had to.... but NEVER again!!

Comment

I've never had anything too interesting in toilets. Of course, that's probably because I primarily work residential. Toothbrushes seem to be a popular item to get stuck in toilets for me. Of course, the fact that they flex and bend makes them simple to dislodge.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X