Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's This Yellow Goo?

I do not know if what you have going on there is this,

but I have one propane tank that is old, and has been in use for many many years, and it has a dip tube on it, so I can fill smaller tanks from the large one,

I filled up the small bottle on the cutting torch one day and when using it I noticed that there was a yellow type grease on the tip and in the hoses and so on, I called the propane company and they said it was the odorants they use, and some times it settles out and on a dip tube (pulling liquid) you can some times pull that up as well, (so I had to set up a different tank to pull out of), I guess there is a way of cleaning them out, but if one only pulling gas off the top of the large tank not really a problem,

now I was only pulling gas off the small tank I had filled, so why it was not on the bottom I do not know, (my guess is some was/is in the bottom of the small tank now.)

now I do not know if what you have is separated odorant coming out of the tank or not, but it would be good guess, if it is greasy, (in my case it looked like dull yellow aerated gun grease),
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have ZERO success using those torches. I even have the adjustable torch with push button ignite, but the flame is too long, not hot enough and good luck if you turn it upside down to get to a connection.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Make a movie about it called
        It Came from the torch!
        A mysterious Yellow Goo that Kills Plumbers. After the goo kills all the plumbers in the world except some very handsome plumber
        "Not played By Me" Is the only plumper left in the world after he defeats the yellow goo with a bottle of "Goo Gone"
        Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          wet yellow goo spilled out of the torch tip. ... It's soft and fluffy like spray foam but isn't sticky. It does happen to be VERY flammable.
          ethyl mercaptan odorant which has precipitated into moisture in the bottle?
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

No idea what that is.

It obviously can't be used in this condition. I would contact the wholesale house where you got the gas container and see if the sales rep can provide some info.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              ethyl mercaptan odorant which has precipitated into moisture in the bottle?
              wouldn't it pack quite an odoriferous wallop in that concentration?

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
                wouldn't it pack quite an odoriferous wallop in that concentration?
                Good point!
                Reacting with other substances it may lose some odorant qualities.
                Still, I'd expect it to have some smell.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  It obviously can't be used in this condition. I would contact the wholesale house where you got the gas container and see if the sales rep can provide some info.
                  And while you're at it, exchange the tank for a new one, on their dime. And, if your tip, hose, and/or regulator is unsalvagable, I'd lobby for new ones as well.

We haven't had any such issues with propylene in the 2+ years we've been using it, but I have had liquid come out of a 7.5 Mapp tank more than once. Was told by the people at the welding supply that tanks will sometimes spew liquid if used after a long period of horizontal storage. Since I always stored my mapp tank on it's side and rarely had an issue with liquid jamming my tip (once every couple of years), I wasn't sold on his explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                    Good point!
                    Reacting with other substances it may lose some odorant qualities.
                    Still, I'd expect it to have some smell.
                    Oh yeah it had odorant in it for sure. Burned like gunpowder when I put a flame to it.

What's weird is, I didn't see any evidence at the bottle of this stuff. Just at my torch tip. I'm wondering if exposing it to free oxygen made it puff up like that? Been pretty cold here too. Can the liquid in the MAPP bottle be affected by temperature?

I cleaned everything up. Blew my hose out and attached a new MAPP bottle and everything seems normal now. That is, until it bursts into flames while I'm 20' deep in a crawlspace. This rig makes me nervous now

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      ...This rig makes me nervous now
                      What good is life without fear and excitement?
                      The worst that could happen is that it blows up and one slowly burns to death.
                      Likely it will just clog.
                      Can't blow up without O2 mixed.

Comment

I'm guessing the goo is probably the compressed gas that has somehow reacted with either itself, the tank, or something that was inadvertantly introduced to the tank.

Is propylene in liquid form while pressurized? Or is it maybe like acetylene that needs to have another substance in the tank (I think acetylene needs sulfur) to keep it stable?

We NEED a chemist to solve this one....
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Bet it is cold environment reaction only,what ever is happening !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The propylene data sheets below aren't much help in solving Bill's dilemma. They state that pyopylene has a high vapor pressure. Thus, it doesn't easily liquefy due to cold temps. So, what caused Mt. Vesuvius?

http://www.gasinnovations.com/litera...E-BROCHURE.pdf
                            http://www.gasinnovations.com/litera...NICAL-DATA.pdf

Comment

Working...
                            X