X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen drain?

It has been blow 0F here for a few days, and things have been good until this afternoon and the shower/bathtub drain froze in the trap, this is about 100 year old house and and a lot of the plumbing is 60+ years old some of it has been replaced,

now what is strange is this trap is about 7 to 8 foot from any out side walls, NO vent on it, it starts from the tub, goes about 5 to 6 feet away from the out side wall, and Tee's into the pipe under the shower, and then into a trap, the trap goes a few feet and then into the 3" pipe under the toilet, (toilet is about 5 feet from an out side wall), now there is the cold and hot water pipes, they have not froze, the water to the toilet has not froze, nore to the tub, the drain from the kitchen and upstairs bath has not froze and it is along the out side wall,

(not hard to fix, pump out the standing water, run hot water in the tub, and repeat as necessary and in a few minuets it is thawed, )

the vents one on the out side of the house where the plumbing exits, about 7 feet from the toilet, and one on the upstairs 1/2 bath, (now the drains Wye together below the toilet or on the opposite side of the shower, and there is a vent on the kitchen sink,

the water does not freeze, when the drain freezes up, and the water lines are closer to the out side walls, (this is on the down wind side of the house),

could the vents create a convection that would pull the sub zero air in and some how freeze it? (this is the only idea I am coming up with),

it never (that I was ever aware of) happened before the up stairs bath was put in), we normally do not have the sub 0F temps for any length of time, but it did happen about a year ago as well during some sub 0F temps,

plumbing pipe is ABS in this area of the house,

any ideas why? (besides it got below freezing), I would think if the crawl area was below freezing the water pipes would freeze up (as they have in the past when it got below freezing under the house), I could under stand if it was up next to the concrete foundation and some crack was leaking air near it),
    Last edited by BHD; 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Frozen drain?

Kinda' need pictures for myself.....

Alot of things can come into play. How quickly it freezes vs. the amount of times it's used and when it's used.

As far as the supply pipes. Water is moving in the system even in other areas. The same water is in contact with this water. So that could help I suppose.

As far as exterior wall pipes not freezing-I'm pretty sure you're getting heat to the pipes from the interior space.

You could make an insulated & sealed box around the trap.

J.C.

Comment

The vents would be pulling air from the sewer line. That air likely would be warmed by sewerage and the warmer surrounding ground.

Are all vent pipes the same height?

Perhaps if the taller vent developed a stronger draft, because warm drain water had been heating the stack, it might pull cold air down the lower height vent as the stack air rises by convection.
      Once cooler denser air starts pouring down the lower pipe, it will be difficult to stop. Maybe it is chilling the water and freezing it.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

is bath not used much? could the rest of house moves from use. as jc said. i've seen freeze ups that defied logic not that i have an abundance. you could insulate the trap. breid............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          is bath not used much? could the rest of house moves from use. as jc said. I've seen freeze ups that defied logic not that i have an abundance. you could insulate the trap. breid............
          the bath had not been used for about 30 hours,

I am thinking much like, Robert here, there are two 3" vents (the plumbing was put in retrofit) and thus the one vent is out side the wall going up the side of the house, the second vent is all inside as the upstairs bath was built on from scratch by building a dormer in the roof section, and the vent was installed in the wall, and down stairs it is boxed in a pantry room, and what I am thinking is the inside vent is warmer and taller, and thus starts a draft, the other vent is outside and subject to the sub 0 temps, so if the one starts drafting even a little and the relief is on the other vent and starts to pull sub 0 air in the vent as it migrates by the toilet it cools the shower trap as it is attached to the toilet line, and after say 30 or so hours even a light buffeting of cold could freeze the trap, but since it is the only trap under the house the others that could be effected most likely are heated enough more to keep them flowing even if there not used much.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X