Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water heater supply lines - stainless or copper?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water heater supply lines - stainless or copper?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Is there any statistical data to support that the Flexes help in earthquake areas being that the heaters are also strapped with approved methods?

Thanks.

J.C.
    I think the purpose of the strapping is to prevent a heater from tipping over, so I'm pretty sure SOME movement is still expected and if you run any hard pipe/tube directly to the heater, you do run a risk of a joint failing if not worse.
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

aram, you just missed the special last week at hirsch. i think i now have 200+ ss water heater flexes. when the next big one comes, he who has the flexes will be the guy that gets the work

let me know what you need and i'll keep you in the loop.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Is there any statistical data to support that the Flexes help in earthquake areas being that the heaters are also strapped with approved methods?

Thanks.

J.C.
        Many years ago the strapping I saw on places I lived in CA wasn't more than a best-efforts attempt using plumber's tape. But in the last decade (approx) the inspectors have been enforcing the code which requires some heavy-duty bracing per spec.

I saw a thread on this topic in another forum but I can't find it now. I recall someone stating that the bracing wasn't really needed until the hard-piping was replaced by flex, since the flex allowed for movement of the WH. Another person commented that piping should only be used for transport of fluids/gas and not structural support. I recall it was a spirited discussion...

Comment

Working...
        X