Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
    My knowledge base is derived from case histories of piping failures.

I've viewed your posts, you've been complaining from the go.

My goal wasn't to educate or entertain...
    My knowlege comes from actually installing pex systems for the past 15 or so years that are still working today. Giving the customer an affordable alternative to copper that suits their needs. I wouldn't be using pex if the copper wasn't failing

Comment

I smell a fight argggggggggg

sigpic

Comment

google "diy plumbing forum". 7 on the 1st page, including #4 dunbarplumbingforum.com. lol. breid...............

Comment

I don't know if pex or copper or gal. iron or a"garden hose" is best, but I do know this--I started in the trades in 1950 and I have heard these same arguments every time a new product or tool came out. Electric saws, routers and electric planes were going to kill the carpentry trade: romex, twist connectors, plug in spots on duplex outlets and switches would be the death of electricians: and heaven forbid, the world was going to end when St. Paul, Mn. no longer required sinks, lavs, and stools to be connected with a wiped lead joint! With that said, I am just thankful that I have running water, an inside toilet, electricity and a warm insulated house. I have lived without all of those and I don't want to go back!Bring on the new products and progress--I will be happy to enjoy them. And now for the Benediction............

Comment

I don't know...I come here to post my questions and input information when I can...be it right or wrong....some agree and some disagree....I think what happens sometimes is that some DIY'ers ask questions that have either to complex ways to fix, so at that point plumbers get aggravated because you are getting information that took us time and money, blood sweat and tears to accumulate or they ask questions without having no basic or common sense. I have no problems sharing information to help but by no means do I wish to walk someone step by step thru a process who isnt in the trade. It does say asking for advice not doing the job....I still like coming here and still learn stuff all the time and still think its a fun forum to read!!! But once again what do I know????
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
              Just wondering if there were any plumbing DIY type forums out there that aren't so negative?

Ones that have some answers other than "hire a pro"?

Ones that aren't afraid of modern products and techniques?

There are some really helpful voices here, I have to wonder if they lend those voices to a place that's more constructive or DIY friendly.
              Yes, right here. This forum is not perfect in regards to any question.

Sometimes a person gets the answers they want, sometimes they don't.

Overall, it seems to have a "self-policing-fairness" to it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                I don't know if pex or copper or gal. iron or a"garden hose" is best, but I do know this--I started in the trades in 1950 and I have heard these same arguments every time a new product or tool came out. Electric saws, routers and electric planes were going to kill the carpentry trade: romex, twist connectors, plug in spots on duplex outlets and switches would be the death of electricians: and heaven forbid, the world was going to end when St. Paul, Mn. no longer required sinks, lavs, and stools to be connected with a wiped lead joint! With that said, I am just thankful that I have running water, an inside toilet, electricity and a warm insulated house. I have lived without all of those and I don't want to go back!Bring on the new products and progress--I will be happy to enjoy them. And now for the Benediction............
                If you ask me it all went to hell when we gave women the vote
                sigpic

Comment

I was building homes in the 70s. Some folks were using copper covered allum.wiring. We had a copper shortage with the war. I told other contractors it was garbage. Was I a bad Guy , and not respectful of new products! Now run along Sonny
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
                    Just wondering if there were any plumbing DIY type forums out there that aren't so negative?

Ones that have some answers other than "hire a pro"?

Ones that aren't afraid of modern products and techniques?

There are some really helpful voices here, I have to wonder if they lend those voices to a place that's more constructive or DIY friendly.
                    Take a look at http://www.diychatroom.com/

They have a Plumbing forum, among many others and I see advice being offered to various different questions. I can't attest to the validity of the responses, but at least people are trying to help with something more than, "You better call in a pro".

Comment

Yep, they sure do try to help but not a lot of pro's post there so the advice is very often in conflict of codes and standard practice so though some of the advice may "work" it is often not correct.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        If you ask me it all went to hell when we gave women the vote
                        You better hide--when Joey and Phoebe read this, New Hampshire will make the million man march look like a one person parade.

Comment

I don't participate in either of these forums, but they both have plumbing professionals sharing information with DIY's.
                          http://www.plbg.com/forum/list.php?1
                          http://terrylove.com/forums/

Comment

http://www.plbg.com/forum/list.php?1

HJ or Packy will give out free plumbing information

they have been doing it for years

Comment

Example;
                              "Hi I want to run a new toilet in my basement can I run it over to the shower drain?"
                              "No Sir you need to run it over to the main line on the other side of your basement"
                              "But why not, I want to it would be easy that way?"
                              "Because sir you just made a funnel"
                              "Hire a pro"
                              "screw you guys I think it will work because it will not be used very much"
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Here is a great read on a house forum.
                                http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...e-jetting.html

I think the answers would have been a little different on this forum.
                                Last edited by Cuda; 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X