Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    try www.plumbingzone.com they are a lot more diy friendly than here. breid................
    So how would you rate that site compared to this one. Is there an equivalent of plumber rick on there ?

As far as DIY - the one thing I would say is that everyone is different in their abilities and no one off a website can judge what should be a job that should be done by that person vs hiring a pro. It is upto that person to make that decision based upon advice given on what's involved.

I was helping someone with diagnosing a problem with their automatic transmission on a car related website. Since I have taken autos apart and rebuilt them that person wanted to know if he should attempt this himself or have a transmission shop work on it. For that I had no advice so I said that was his decision alone based on how confident he felt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      So how would you rate that site compared to this one. Is there an equivalent of plumber rick on there ?

As far as DIY - the one thing I would say is that everyone is different in their abilities and no one off a website can judge what should be a job that should be done by that person vs hiring a pro. It is upto that person to make that decision based upon advice given on what's involved.

I was helping someone with diagnosing a problem with their automatic transmission on a car related website. Since I have taken autos apart and rebuilt them that person wanted to know if he should attempt this himself or have a transmission shop work on it. For that I had no advice so I said that was his decision alone based on how confident he felt about it.
      There is no comparison with the 2. A lot of those children are still living in their Mom's basements.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Plumbing zone is a site for professional, licensed plumbers, it is not a diy site so there is no comparing the two. The atmosphere has greatly improved there with the disappearance of a couple of members. Again, it is not diy friendly either for diy posters or members that are sympathetic to the diy community.
        sigpic

Comment

google "diy plumbing forum". 7 on the 1st page, including #4 dunbarplumbingforum.com. lol. breid...............

I set that to 'read only' last year. I add to it from time to time, but the website I built today is going to be a hoot!

I just started plumbing bomb tossing on the internet with this jewel of an idea. Everybody get outta my way!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Plumbing zone is a site for professional, licensed plumbers, it is not a diy site so there is no comparing the two. The atmosphere has greatly improved there with the disappearance of a couple of members. Again, it is not diy friendly either for diy posters or members that are sympathetic to the diy community.
            Most on the plumbingzone are DIY or secretaries or apartment maintenace,etc,etc.

Slickrick asked me to rejoin a few months ago...because Ron the plumber decided he was too much of a mental case to be a moderator. I declined...its a clown show over there.
            Last edited by TheMaster; 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Most on the plumbingzone are DIY or secretaries or apartment maintenace,etc,etc.

Slickrick asked me to rejoin a few months ago...because Ron the plumber decided he was too much of a mental case to be a moderator. I declined...its a clown show over there.
              That is excellent fictional writing ........

Comment

I just visited that site - I see some of you are also members on there. It does seem to suggest it is only for plumbers - but on the other hand if you pose as a plumber can they figure this out assuming you asked reasonably intelligent questions.

Anyway who wants to go there when we have this forum - I like this forum and people are very friendly here (at least to me so far)

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post

Thank You, My feelings also! Cirque Du Soleie, without their talent
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

blue. just tell them you are an engineer. believe it or not they seem to be intimidated by anyone who claims to be an engineer. i have not ever seen them ever question an engineer. hell if tm had signed in as engineer he still be allowed. if they question you about anything just give them about 500 words of engineering gobbledygook that will shut them up. even better if it is off topic. lol. breid.......................

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      I just visited that site - I see some of you are also members on there. It does seem to suggest it is only for plumbers - but on the other hand if you pose as a plumber can they figure this out assuming you asked reasonably intelligent questions.

Anyway who wants to go there when we have this forum - I like this forum and people are very friendly here (at least to me so far)
                      maybe they could, maybe not but what would be the point? It really seems to irk the hell out of some people that there could be a site that is not inclusive of everybody out there. PZ is not a diy site. Yes, quite a few of us are members there. I have been since the beginning. It's not like this site. We don't answer a lot of the same questions that a diy would pose. A lot of it is just banter between like minded professionals along with business discussion and other things trade related. Stupid questions will get you flamed regardless of your perceived status

Ridgid's site is very friendly most of the time and that's due in a large part to the membership and the moderation by Josh and Mark who are imho two of the best.

TM, you should come back. We miss you
                      sigpic

Comment

blue. just tell them you are an engineer. believe it or not they seem to be intimidated by anyone who claims to be an engineer. i have not ever seen them ever question an engineer. hell if tm had signed in as engineer he still be allowed. if they question you about anything just give them about 500 words of engineering gobbledygook that will shut them up. even better if it is off topic. lol. breid.......................
                        Ha Ha - yes I'm sure I can come up with plenty of engineering gobbeldygook for them.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          maybe they could, maybe not but what would be the point? It really seems to irk the hell out of some people that there could be a site that is not inclusive of everybody out there. PZ is not a diy site. Yes, quite a few of us are members there. I have been since the beginning. It's not like this site. We don't answer a lot of the same questions that a diy would pose. A lot of it is just banter between like minded professionals along with business discussion and other things trade related. Stupid questions will get you flamed regardless of your perceived status

Ridgid's site is very friendly most of the time and that's due in a large part to the membership and the moderation by Josh and Mark who are imho two of the best.

TM, you should come back. We miss you
                          No point really other than having a bit of fun Actually it does not irk me at all that people have sites that are not inclusive to everyone. That happens all the time depending on what you do. I was at an engineering related trade show recently in San Diego which was by invitation only.

On the other hand I've always found that I learn new things from all kinds of people and by limiting the people who can participate in discussions maybe PZ are limiting themselves?

I do like this site and is my no 1 choice for plumbing related info/questions although some of the other forums like electrical on here are pretty good also. The moderation here is also very good.

Comment

you are on one. there is a post down the way about sump vents. a diyer then 5 posts about whatever before geno sets them straight. just one example of people that don't know what they are doing giving suggestions. beginning to look like terrys forum. in small doses it is funny. breid................

Comment

No there is no such thing as a good DIY forum in most DIY'ers eyes. What I found on DIY sites is people coming and asking questions on how to do a task. They get great answers from the pro's that will meet or exceed their code. Then they reply that they want to do it their way, that they do not need to follow the code. So in other words they just come to DIY sites for validation for doing it the wrong way.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

you are on one. there is a post down the way about sump vents. a diyer then 5 posts about whatever before geno sets them straight. just one example of people that don't know what they are doing giving suggestions. beginning to look like terrys forum. in small doses it is funny. breid................
                                Were you referring to me? link?

Comment

Working...
                                X