Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    No there is no such thing as a good DIY forum in most DIY'ers eyes. What I found on DIY sites is people coming and asking questions on how to do a task. They get great answers from the pro's that will meet or exceed their code. Then they reply that they want to do it their way, that they do not need to follow the code. So in other words they just come to DIY sites for validation for doing it the wrong way.
    There's not much you can do about that. You can give good advice - whether people take it or not is up to them. But it is all good info and other people can benefit by reading the threads.

Comment

What really irks me is the attitude that a lot of the DIY folks have. They seem to get this idea in thier head that they are somehow more competent than folks that earn a living at a particular trade, and do the work on a daily basis.

Sure, there are hacks in every profession, but some of the post on DIY forums are out there for sure. It's a wonder these folks dont attempt their own triple bypass surgery.

The second paragraph of this post is an example. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...011128423.html

Comment

blue

lol. no. "can i connect sump pump vent to drain vent?". i don't mind the exclusion either. breid...........

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
          What really irks me is the attitude that a lot of the DIY folks have. They seem to get this idea in thier head that they are somehow more competent than folks that earn a living at a particular trade, and do the work on a daily basis.

Sure, there are hacks in every profession, but some of the post on DIY forums are out there for sure. It's a wonder these folks dont attempt their own triple bypass surgery.

The second paragraph of this post is an example. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...011128423.html
          Might have expected to see this comment on the Pros forum, but since it's here I feel welcome to contribute.

TV shows like Mike Holmes confirm the experiences many HO's have with contractors and may encourage more second-guessing of the contractor. No doubt some HO's are guilty of getting in over their heads on DIY projects, but they probably circle back to the pros when that dawns on them. I once saw a funny sign on the back of a plumber's van that said something like, "We repair what your husband fixed". Holmes actually advocates that HO's hire pros for most projects, but tells HO's to conduct due diligence in selecting good inspectors and contractors (although I never understood exactly how to do this if you don't have the expertise in the first place).

When contributing advice in a DIY forum like this one, it may be helpful to advise what the HO can do themselves vs. hiring a pro, or at least what items may involve shared decision-making, like choice of materials, etc. I have benefited from the Q&A in this forum by getting educated on topics which make me an informed customer. I believe the pros on these DIY forums who share their expertise are making their industry better. Don't let anyone tell you differently.
          Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 02-15-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

The only problem I have with DIY'ers/HO'ers is when they call me to their home and say "I have an easy job for you, and it shouldn't cost much".

Umm if it's that easy, what the hell am I doing there in the first place?

I also find that "some" homeowners and other "non licensed plumbers" know more about Plumbing than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              The only problem I have with DIY'ers/HO'ers is when they call me to their home and say "I have an easy job for you, and it shouldn't cost much".

Umm if it's that easy, what the hell am I doing there in the first place?

I also find that "some" homeowners and other "non licensed plumbers" know more about Plumbing than I do.
              The quickest way to get a price shopper off the phone is to give them a price. I dont have a problem giving a price.

Comment

Working...
              X