Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

Just wondering if there were any plumbing DIY type forums out there that aren't so negative?

Ones that have some answers other than "hire a pro"?

Ones that aren't afraid of modern products and techniques?

There are some really helpful voices here, I have to wonder if they lend those voices to a place that's more constructive or DIY friendly.

Re: Are there any Good DIY plumbing fourms out there?

try www.plumbingzone.com they are a lot more diy friendly than here. breid................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
      try www.plumbingzone.com they are a lot more diy friendly than here. breid................
      To bad I can't nominate this for post of the week
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
        To bad I can't nominate this for post of the week
        I took care of it

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post

MMMMMmmmmmmm sarcasm........

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
            Just wondering if there were any plumbing DIY type forums out there that aren't so negative?

There are some really helpful voices here, I have to wonder if they lend those voices to a place that's more constructive or DIY friendly.
            Ask your question and I will try to help. I have no beef with an electrician working on his own plumbing

Comment

Yes, go there, and make sure you read this post that just showed up today, you might learn something. I see your posts on here in regards to running water lines with PEX.

Ignore the responses where it's everything but the fault of the piping.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This section of the forum is for DIY questions. Responses should be appropriate or not given.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                  Yes, go there, and make sure you read this post that just showed up today, you might learn something. I see your posts on here in regards to running water lines with PEX.

Ignore the responses where it's everything but the fault of the piping.
                  Umm, yeah. Aren't you just a ray of sunshine everywhere you go.....

Yes Pex, in my house given the layout, room to work, and a couple of other factors, I'm using it. In the house across the alley I've run all copper new from where it enters the house. Including the whole house HWH / hydronic heat, ideal for the application (8' wet wall for up and down units) Yes, I'll do the maintenance...... it just doesn't take that long nor is it that hard......

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    This section of the forum is for DIY questions. Responses should be appropriate or not given.
                    So should the threads.... http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36274

Comment

Well, that thread should have been posted in the pro's forum. I don't know if it was posted there by mistake or not and maybe Josh or Mark can move it.

Note though that the Pro forum is visible to everyone and there are going to be discussions that perhaps raise the DIY hackles. You should understand that not all of us are thrilled to give away our knowledge and expertise for nothing. (how many diy surgery or dental sites can you find?) In fact, I have written several articles that have addressed that very subject. Remember though that this is Ridgid's site and Ridgid sells tools to plumbers so many of us hang out here to converse and argue with each other. Our biases though should not spill over to the diy section no doubt.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think there's a third category sandwiched between DIY plumbing and hiring a plumber, and that's being an educated HO. I am a fan of the Mike Holmes TV show "Holmes Inspection", and viewers who really pay attention to what Mike preaches is that HO's should usually hire a pro for home projects requiring specialized skills (in other words, MOST projects). So I use this forum to become better informed so I can select a good plumber, understand what a reasonable cost would be, and partner to some extent with the plumber on materials/approach for the project (for example, I posted earlier this week asking advice on stainless vs. copper WH supply lines).

I also get value from reading the other forum for pro's only. Actually, I accidently posted on that forum once and I'm thankful you guys didn't take my head off

We really need a new term to define that place between complete DIY and hands-off hiring.

Comment

Umm, yeah. Aren't you just a ray of sunshine everywhere you go.....

Yes Pex, in my house given the layout, room to work, and a couple of other factors, I'm using it. In the house across the alley I've run all copper new from where it enters the house. Including the whole house HWH / hydronic heat, ideal for the application (8' wet wall for up and down units) Yes, I'll do the maintenance...... it just doesn't take that long nor is it that hard......

Actually I am. I am the bright light of wisdom and great supply of methane gas.

You did very right on that service line into that home running copper. It's a memory and you should never have to do it twice. Same with hydronic heat. You most likely put it in because it has a proven history.... now, anything copper costs a fortune.

If you ever see me on the internet trading words, it's because I'm after the tradesmen in this profession letting them know where this all leads.

Homeowners/property owners I defend totally in their piping/material choices.

It's when homeowners/property owners become victims of plumbers piping and material choices do I get hellbent and let my opinions known.

At one time, I had every opportunity to put in long lasting products. Concealing "bad" materials in the wall of home? I defend property owners way before any plumber in the brotheren of my trade. Especially when 'class action lawsuit' follows the majority of these pipng systems that you throw a roll on your shoulder, call yourself a plumber.

I was trained/educated/tested on far better moral judgement and values.

And materials.

Comment

Homeowners/property owners I defend totally in their piping/material choices.

I was trained/educated/tested on far better moral judgement and values.

And materials.
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36274
                            Hmm, and how is someone not suppose to take away from that thread that you think the use of PEX is for the slow of mind. And it's so good of you to let us know you were trained/educated/tested on far better moral judgement and values.

And materials. .....

Posting things like that is not a sign of respect or defending the DIY's choice of material. Can't even consider it educational........

Comment

Hmm, and how is someone not suppose to take away from that thread that you think the use of PEX is for the slow of mind. And it's so good of you to let us know you were trained/educated/tested on far better moral judgement and values.

And materials. .....

Posting things like that is not a sign of respect or defending the DIY's choice of material. Can't even consider it educational........

My knowledge base is derived from case histories of piping failures.

I've viewed your posts, you've been complaining from the go.

My goal wasn't to educate or entertain...

Comment

Working...
                              X