Leveling ground for Modular home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leveling ground for Modular home

If it was me I would call Veert Landscaping, McEwen Bros, or S&J contracting to give a quote on both the gravel supply and lot grading. These guys have been around Winnipeg for years and know their stuff.

Even the smaller guys like Kelvin Cartage or Frick excavating should be able to do it as they will either buy the gravel from one of the above or they will go to Birds Hill and buy directly from the one of the pits.

Only problem is a lot of the companies have their loaders and dump trucks tied up with hauling snow for the city right now so you might have to wait.

Comment

As I love to be the fly in the ointment, I will be.

The only thing you get out of pre-fab constuction is time. You get a crappier product vs. stick framed, at a similar price, that when you go to sell it will always be saddled with it's deserved rep as a modular. The one thing you get is time; plop, instant house.

They are junk. I'm constantly amazed by and feel sympathy for ho's and try to comply with their deep deep desire to not call their house a trailer, but instead call it a modular home.

I walked away from a sewer service freeze at a modular this past weekend after messing around with it for an hour... it's junk, anything I touch will crumble in my hands, crap access, dead cat in crawl, sodden frozen insulation hanging down... nice lady... toothless and country but so nice I still feel bad, but there was just no way I could do a decent job on the hunk of crap at a reasonable cost and get paid. That's what modular gets you; unserviceable crap.

unless you are a developer dropping the things and getting clear asap, or in dire need of housing asap, do yourself a favor and hire a good carpenter and take the time to build a real building.
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-10-2011, 03:10 AM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

http://homebuying.about.com/cs/modul...dularhomes.htm. will explain the difference between modulars, stick built and manufactured housing(double wides, mobs or trailers, whatever you wish to call them). they aren't the same. whether you like them or not is immaterial. by the way where is this woman supposed to get the money to hire a carpenter to build a house if she can't even afford you? breid.................
        Last edited by breid1903; 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM. Reason: i'm illiterate

Comment

It may be different elsewhere, but around here there are a lot of hungry builders. When I was looking at mfr'd housing about ten years ago, it really wasn't any cheaper than building it on site. About the only thing you got out of it was schedule. House got done a lot quicker, so you got out from under the construction loan and into a regular mortgage a lot faster. And with the builders all hungry it's probably at least a similar minimal price difference now as it was then. And you just get a better house. And you get better resale.

My story about the job the other day was to illustrate why I hate the things; I walked away from the sewer service freeze because it was an access nightmare, and because all the frozen insulation underneath from the crap toilet installation leaking out into it was just going to freeze the thing up again immediately. And because she was already asking me if she could make payments. It was an access nightmare because it was a modular installed with no access to the plumbing. And getting hooked on her water was going to be iffy because of the crap plastic fittings and fixtures that were trying to fall apart from me just looking at them. Being a modular built the way it was and installed the way it was caused the issue in the first place, made fixing it into 3 times the job it would have been, and made fixing it so it stayed fixed an even bigger issue.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

One of my houses, in fact my primary residence, is a modular home. I wasn't a fan of the house at first, I just liked the location. After fixing all of the problems we found with the house I've found it is the quality of the sub's finishing the house that caused the overwhelming majority of the problems.
            Mike

Comment

Not all modular homes are built to the same quality just like not all track houses are built the same. I have owned both. I shopped around and looked for awhile before I made my choice. My modular home has T-111 siding all the way around, drywall throughout, vaulted ceilings, Moen fixtures, fullsize fiberglass tubs and showers. Name brand quality windows, appliances, doors and hardware. It was at least $50,000 less than a stick built home and just as sound. It cost me $55,000 for a 1300 sq. ft. loaded with upgrades; dropped off on my lot and bolted together and leveled. Remember this is California where every thing costs more to build, and I live out in the country. We had a bad earthquake in my area that killed two people a few years ago and my modular made it through with flying colors. Can't say the same for some of my neighbors homes.
              Last edited by plumb4life; 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

manufactured housing is NOT a modular. they two totally different fish. like a drain cleaner or a plumber. breid.............

Comment

pfl. mods around here have about the same price differential. if you were to work on one you would not notice a bit of difference in the construction. there is one difference, all mods are built code. no funny stuff. i live in a stick built house. just so you know. most of the problems that i see with mobiles are lack of maintenance, plus crappy subs hooking them up. breid...............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    manufactured housing is NOT a modular. they two totally different fish. like a drain cleaner or a plumber. breid.............
                    I know around the country the terms "modular" can mean totally different things. Moblehome, modular, manufactured home, off site built housing, etc. Here they are moblehomes with modern house building materials and finish to look just like a track house inside and out. I realize modular can mean a sectional house built somewhere else.

Comment

i wasn't talking to you. no offense intended. the difference as far i can tell is that manufactured housing has a steel frame under it and arrives on wheels. modulars have a wood frame like a stick built house and arrive on a trailer. in indiana manufactured housing used to came with a title just like any other trailer. not sure if that is still true. i have seen mcmansions that were mods. 3 or 4 stories tall. several million bucks. palatial. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                      X