Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling ground for Modular home

Hello,

I am planning on leveling ground for a modular home I plan to use. I wanted to see the cost of doing this. Since my modular home will be 36 x 12, I will need approx. 3 yards of gravel (2 inches deep) to lay at the base.

First off, I need to level the ground. The best way to do this I figure would be to contract out a bobcat company to make the ground level, then contract a gravel company to lay down approx. 3 yards of gravel once the ground is level.

Would anyone know the total cost of this project would be? Also am I forgetting something? I am wondering how long this will take, but more importantly at what cost. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Leveling ground for Modular home

Doing this now? Frozen ground? Or can it wait till spring I only ask because guys charge more right now. And why ask on a plumbing forum?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      Doing this now? Frozen ground? Or can it wait till spring I only ask because guys charge more right now. And why ask on a plumbing forum?

I was a plumbers helper, and I know that plumbers are intelligent people who are really good at construction.

Having said that, the project must be completed in winter unfortunately, since the demand is high.

PS...I guess I should have posted it in the general construction sub forum. Sorry about that.

Comment

I know it is very competitive right now on pricing lots of excavator guys out of work, around me in Seattle it would be around $500- $900 but in frozen soils it costs more a good place to ask might be http://www.contractortalk.com/f62/
        But identify yourself they don't seem to like DIY homeowners. And it doesn't include if the dirt must be taken away.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Unfortunately, no price on a forum can be given with any accuracy.

Gonna' have to check with two or three people locally.

J.C.

Comment

If the ground is already close to level with no trees it would cost no more than 1,000.00 here for the ground to be leveled and the gravel spread. The ground doesn't freeze here. I could prolly get it done for 1/2 that.

Comment

You need to call Your local stone supplier . They'll have names in Your local.I buy crushed concrete for $6 Per Yard. 3/4" drain rock is what You want.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Gravel and stone is usually sold by the ton, not yard IIRC. By my quick calc you would need about 7.1 tons or 4 CY for the area you specified.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Don't you need a footer and stem wall for a modular?

Comment

Originally posted by jets4life View Post
                    ... Since my modular home will be 36 x 12, I will need approx. 3 yards of gravel (2 inches deep) to lay at the base...
                    Why any gravel?
                    Required?
                    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                      Why any gravel?
                      Required?
                      w/o a foundation, frost heaving could be an issue. The stone bed will break the connection between the base of the structure and the ground, mitigating the effect of frost heaving. That's my opinion anyway. I've never heard of it being done (or even allowed by code) for a living space or structure of this size, but in many areas it is kosher for sheds and other outbuildings. Three inches does not seem to be enough though. I just put a 14x10 shed in last year and was required to lay a minimum of 6 inches of 3/4" stone. And I am way further south (39.25°N) than Winnipeg
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i'm with myakka. mods are set on foundations here. pea gravel on visqueen in crawl. you sound like you have a doulblewide mobile home. dw are set on concrete splatters here. do you have a steel frame with axles/wheels or wood frame on trailer? fyi if i crawled under a mob and it had crushed stone for me to crawl on there would be misery money involved. breid.....................

Comment

I have a 24' by 60' doublewide modular home I had dropped off new in 2003 and all that was required by the County and Bank lender was pressure treated boards under the jack stands, then 12 large pemanent foundation jacks bolted to the I beams for earthquake protection. The contracter doing the jacks and leveling reccommeded against visqueen because of mold and mildew issues. Its been done for 8 years now. I was under the house Sunday and all was dry. My house pad was slightly graded for drainage before Installation. Hope this helps.

Comment

are these i-beams steel? breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                              are these i-beams steel? breid..............
                              Yes, they are steel and make up the floor framework and run the full length of the house. Really just a glorified moblehome but don't tell that to my wife!

Comment

Working...
                              X