X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anything wrong here?

Here is how my washer discharge pipe connect with the sewer line. I was like this when we moved in. I remember last time a plumber told me the inspector complain the discharge line with him. Anybody can tell me what's wrong with this setting and how can I fix it?

The only thing I can think about is the entry in the main line is a cleanout and should not be used. If that is true, can I correct it by add a tee there and free that cleanout?

thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: anything wrong here?

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
    Here is how my washer discharge pipe connect with the sewer line. I was like this when we moved in. I remember last time a plumber told me the inspector complain the discharge line with him. Anybody can tell me what's wrong with this setting and how can I fix it?

The only thing I can think about is the entry in the main line is a cleanout and should not be used. If that is true, can I correct it by add a tee there and free that cleanout?

thanks,
    Not enough info but it looks like it might be wet vented and the trap arm may be too long. Is there anything else draining into the drain from above? I'm also wondering what else is shoved down the stand pipe?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Not enough info but it looks like it might be wet vented and the trap arm may be too long. Is there anything else draining into the drain from above? I'm also wondering what else is shoved down the stand pipe?

Mark
      above is the kitchen sink. the length of the arm is about 6'.

Comment

Does is it currently work? If it does well then there u go...would need to know what that means inspector didn't like....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

above is the kitchen sink. the length of the arm is about 6'.
          You need to enter the drain through a sanitary fitting, add a VTR and shorten your trap arm.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
            Does is it currently work? If it does well then there u go...would need to know what that means inspector didn't like....
            few months ago the inspector came to my house for another plumbing project. Then the plumber told me the inspector told him something there didn't follow the code.

Comment

few months ago the inspector came to my house for another plumbing project. Then the plumber told me the inspector told him something there didn't follow the code.

Well that sucks he didn't go further into detail...I hate when that happens...
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Codes do vary. It will not pass code where I am at.

I have to say that I don't understand posts like these. According to your posts, you've had a plumber and an inspector there but don't know why it doesn't meet your local code.

Seems like you could find out from them in 5 minutes.

J.C.

Comment

You need to enter the drain through a sanitary fitting
                  Mark
                  I cannot understand this. what's you mean about "through a sanitary fitting"?

add a VTR
                  Mark
                  Is this mean the vent through the roof? I checked before. There is a vent goes up to the attic from the kitchen sink and then finally goes through the roof.

shorten your trap arm.

Mark
                  Yes, I will move the washer closer to shorten the trap arm.

Comment

I cannot understand this. what's you mean about "through a sanitary fitting"?
                    The trap arm is tied into the old clean-out fitting which is not a legal connection.

Is this mean the vent through the roof? I checked before. There is a vent goes up to the attic from the kitchen sink and then finally goes through the roof.
                    That is the vent from the kitchen sink but you have no vent for the laundry.

Yes, I will move the washer closer to shorten the trap arm.
                    You are probably better off having a plumber do it as it may be above what you are use to.

Mark

Comment

As long as that vent goes through the roof, from what I see that would pass in my state. You're within 6 feet, and their is an "exception" in the I.P.C. code for connecting to clean-outs. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my code book home today from the shop.

But your state might be different code wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        As long as that vent goes through the roof, from what I see that would pass in my state. You're within 6 feet, and their is an "exception" in the I.P.C. code for connecting to clean-outs. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my code book home today from the shop.

But your state might be different code wise.
                        Except that it is not a vent it is the waste from the kitchen.

Table 706.3?

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Instead of utilizing the existing test tee for the connection , The plumber probably should have removed the piping out of the hub above the floor , installed another cleanout , stacked a 3x2 tee on top of it for your washer drain, and if longer than 6' installed a studer vent(legal here)..Tied back into the cast iron above it with a fernco and shearband...Or something similar.. The inspector probably had an issue that there is not a 3" cleanout for that stack now..just my .02
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Except that it is not a vent it is the waste from the kitchen.

Table 706.3?

Mark
                            I have a hard time believing that the line we see in the pictures, doesn't vent through the roof. But it could...we just don't know. If it's not vented, that throws everything I said out the door..it's illegal.

I forget what table it was...700's sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              I have a hard time believing that the line we see in the pictures, doesn't vent through the roof. But it could...we just don't know. If it's not vented, that throws everything I said out the door..it's illegal.

I forget what table it was...700's sounds about right.
                              To me it looks like someone just installed a trap arm to the cleanout at the bottom of the kitchen waste but who knows for sure.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X