X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• methane gas leaks

Hello. I am experiencing a problem in my home that has been unsolvable for several years. I get a smell in my home that I believe may be coming from leaking pvc pipes or cast iron waste pipes under the slab. The symptoms are a low grade smell in the home which seems to contaminate clothing, furniture, etc. I am extremely allergic to this odor which gets on my clothing and it is now causing me health issues. Is my assumption plausible and how do you test for this type of issue? Is it possible that the odor is bacteria from waste pipes contaminating clothing, furniture, etc. Is there any way to neutralize it? It is practically impossible to get onto the roof to block the vent pipes to test for leaks at this time due to heavy snow accumulation on the roof. I am having a hard time living in this house now because of these circumstances. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by tobago; 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM. Reason: typo

Re: methane gas leaks

You need a licensed plumber to come out and smoke the drain system. He will have the ability and equipment to get to the roof and plug the vents for this test. There is really no other way to accurately determine the problem.

Comment

Also any unused [ for a long time ] floor drains sinks ,showers, lavs,
      can have their trap water evaporate allowing sewer gas into your home !! If this is a chance fill with water! Good luck
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by tobago View Post
        Hello. I am experiencing a problem in my home that has been unsolvable for several years. I get a smell in my home that I believe may be coming from leaking pvc pipes or cast iron waste pipes under the slab. The symptoms are a low grade smell in the home which seems to contaminate clothing, furniture, etc. I am extremely allergic to this odor which gets on my clothing and it is now causing me health issues. Is my assumption plausible and how do you test for this type of issue? Is it possible that the odor is bacteria from waste pipes contaminating clothing, furniture, etc. Is there any way to neutralize it? It is practically impossible to get onto the roof to block the vent pipes to test for leaks at this time due to heavy snow accumulation on the roof. I am having a hard time living in this house now because of these circumstances. Any suggestions are appreciated.
        Thank you.
        If you cant test for leaks and your having health problems then I suggest moving out of the house. Think about that for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          If you cant test for leaks and your having health problems then I suggest moving out of the house. Think about that for a minute.
          That's what someone I know did..They were experiencing MOLD issues..Neither management nor the condo association would take care of it..This was in sunny Fla..They filed bankruptcy, moved out and let it go to foreclosure and told em'..This was extreme circumstances though
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

whats the hurry? it's been like this for years. in a few months someone can safely work on the roof when snow is gone. this was an emergency years ago now it's a problem. call me in may. breid.................

Comment

Has water evaporated from floor drain traps?

I am not a plumber and am no expert.
              I would pour water into all drains, sinks, showers, bathtubs, etc.

Could stagnant trap water be spoiled and releasing odors?
              If so, flush them out with a bucket of fresh water - maybe adding some dish detergent to the water.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Sounds a lot like a renter trying to build a case for breaking a lease.

Comment

Isn't PC near there?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X