X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's this and why need it?

I found this photo online. Can anybody tell me what's that black stuff under cleanout? why need it?
    Attached Files

Re: what's this and why need it?

Do you mean the black earthquake guard below the cleanout?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Photo was very small....looks like a FERNCO boot...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
        I found this photo online. Can anybody tell me what's that black stuff under cleanout? why need it?
        Could you get closer to the part?
        Looks like an expansion section to compensate for earth movement (expansion/contraction).
        Denver building code requires them to relieve stresses on the pipe.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

after read more online, i found the answer. it is a rubber couplings. here is the answer: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/33158...all-a-cleanout

Comment

thishomeowner:

It appears to be a Fernco coupling also known as a Fernco fitting although it could be a different brand coupling than Fernco. It's a way to couple two pipes together in such a way that the connection can be disconnected later.

In Boston you don't get too many earthquakes so I'm thinking the local or State code doesn't require a flexible connection at the slab.

It might be that the pipe coming out of the floor is slightly crooked and the plumber used the Fernco to let him run the rest of the stack straight. (Just a guess).

Other than that the clean out tee could have been located where the Fernco is so I'm not sure why it's there.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

could it be that the underground is cast iton/ no hub pipe and the band is the transition between the metal and pvc.

fyi, all rubber bands/ non shielded are not legal here for indoor work. only outdoor.

if that's a 3'', then the band would be a cp33.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

It's a fernco type coupling that you don't need. There are any number of reasons why it was put there. All possibilities stated are logical assumptions. It could be as simple as the plumber painting himself into a corner and having to do it that way. If the pipe coming through slab and is cut square then the CP33 coupling is the better option

Comment

When I worked in Ma. you needed no hub clamp(inside the building) and a no hub adapter to pvc to make the transition legally.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    could it be that the underground is cast iton/ no hub pipe and the band is the transition between the metal and pvc.

fyi, all rubber bands/ non shielded are not legal here for indoor work. only outdoor.

if that's a 3'', then the band would be a cp33.

rick.
                    Rick,

An enlargement of the image shows what appears to be a thin strip of white below the fernco but above that enormous nail plate. So I'm guessing it's PVC in the underground. Although it could conceivably be cast with some cement slopped on it from when the slab was poured. I hope the enlargement comes through. (It's 3x and rather pixilated)

Regardless, a Mission CP33 would be preferable in this case to the fernco. Although the homeowner could purchase a stainless steel band to go over the Fernco. If I were the homeowner that's probably what I would do.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shiel...el-shear-rings
                    Attached Files

Comment

1. Fernco type coupling, possibly for expansion and contraction, but pipe should have been wrapped or isolated, so as not to come in contact with cement (different expansion and contraction rates). Misision CP (castiron to plastic) 33 is the listed choice for transitions between different material CK = ( COPPER TO PLASTIC, STEEL OR CAST). As long as the listing approves the use (or it is required) you can leave the coupling.

2. non sheilded couplings typically are not allowed inside of structures this includes below ground, I have found in the listings of the manufacturerer some that are approved.

3. the ginormous plate is now required (both top and bottom) if your municipality has adopted the I.P.C. codes

Comment

Originally posted by AZPIPEMD View Post
                        but pipe should have been wrapped or isolated, so as not to come in contact with cement (different expansion and contraction rates).
                        How to do this wrapping for PVC pipe which comes out from the ground? any existing wrapper to isolate the PVC from cement?

Comment

How to do this wrapping for PVC pipe which comes out from the ground? any existing wrapper to isolate the PVC from cement?
                          Too late for that now unless you want to bust up the concrete slab.

Also, here in Mn, and in Ct. they don't require PVC, ABS, or cast iron to be sleeved when penetrating a slab from underground. Your code may be different, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

That said, sleeving PVC, ABS or cast when it penetrates a concrete slab from underground doesn't sound like a bad practice. (unless you have radon gas)

Comment

Working...
                          X