Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

    My new sump pit is very close to a bathroom. I am thinking add a vent to the new sump pump and connect it to the drain vent (vent only pipe, not wet vent pipe or direct vent pipe) in the bathroom. Do you think it is safe to do that?
    Last edited by thisnewowner; 02-13-2011, 07:12 PM.

  • #2
    Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

    Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
    My new sump pit is very close to a bathroom. I am thinking add a vent to the new sump pump and connect it to the drain vent (vent only pipe, not wet vent pipe or direct vent pipe) in the bathroom. Do you think it is safe to do that?
    I am not a plumber.
    I would not because sewer gasses from the structure vent piping could escape from the sump.
    A trap would be needed to keep sewer gasses blocked from entering room air.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

      Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      I am not a plumber.
      I would not because sewer gasses from the structure vent piping could escape from the sump.
      A trap would be needed to keep sewer gasses blocked from entering room air.
      I disagree.

      If the lid on your sump basin doesn't seal to the basin, I would address that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

        Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        I am not a plumber.
        A trap would be needed to keep sewer gasses blocked from entering room air.
        How on earth would that work?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

          after read online. It looks like sump pump cannot connect with drain vent.

          So the question became this:
          The sump pump vent has to go through the roof or it is ok just end at outside the building?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

            Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            How on earth would that work?
            I don't know. That is why I would vent it directly to atmosphere.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

              Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
              My new sump pit is very close to a bathroom. I am thinking add a vent to the new sump pump and connect it to the drain vent (vent only pipe, not wet vent pipe or direct vent pipe) in the bathroom. Do you think it is safe to do that?
              If your sump pump is a clear water sump which is collecting ground water, not water from a plumbing fixture or floor drain then it does not need a vent, and it should NOT be connected to your plumbing waste and vent system in any way.

              If your sump is collecting water from a plumbing fixture, then you need to run a vent to open air, or connect it to your plumbing vent system. The cover on top of the sump must also be sealed airtight with gaskets or caulk.
              Time flies like an arrow.

              Fruit flies like a banana.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

                Obviously, from all of your threads, you are either a DIY'er remodeling their home or an uninformed "handyperson".

                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sea...archid=3329788

                That's fine, but in my opinion you should do what you are avoiding.

                Contact your inspection department.

                Reason I say this is that codes vary from state to state, county to county, city to city. Some of the things you are being told will NOT pass code here. And some things that will pass here may NOT pass where you are.

                If you were doing one thing that the majority of professionals here could agree on, that might be ok dependent upon your skill & safety level. But with all of the things you are doing & have going on....

                Consult some local/licensed professionals & contact your inspection department.

                Protect yourself, your home, your insurance, your resale value, and only have to do the work one time.


                J.C.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

                  Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Obviously, from all of your threads, you are either a DIY'er remodeling their home or an uninformed "handyperson".

                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sea...archid=3329788

                  That's fine, but in my opinion you should do what you are avoiding.

                  Contact your inspection department.

                  Reason I say this is that codes vary from state to state, county to county, city to city. Some of the things you are being told will NOT pass code here. And some things that will pass here may NOT pass where you are.

                  If you were doing one thing that the majority of professionals here could agree on, that might be ok dependent upon your skill & safety level. But with all of the things you are doing & have going on....

                  Consult some local/licensed professionals & contact your inspection department.

                  Protect yourself, your home, your insurance, your resale value, and only have to do the work one time.


                  J.C.
                  Why I am here? ask experts! if you don't want to answer question, why you waste your time here? "ask a professional" and "ask your inspector" should NOT be a answer here. I know code is different state by state. But there must be something in common. I just want to know what's YOUR opinion. I will make the decision. I will take ALL responsibilities about what I am doing.

                  This forum is a very useful resource for me to learn. There are many real experts and experienced good guys answering questions. But I am not solely rely on here. I am also doing research, learning from other many places. I learnt a lot recently. I learnt p-trap, vent (wet vent, directly vent, why need it), check valve,.... Everybody starts from first grade. You are NOT the exception, I think. I will be in Middle school soon because so many real professinal will to help me.

                  If I know all I asked, I will not be here to waste everybody's time. But my question will be less and less.

                  Please don't waste your time to recommend me to ask somebody else. I knew that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

                    Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                    If your sump pump is a clear water sump which is collecting ground water, not water from a plumbing fixture or floor drain then it does not need a vent, and it should NOT be connected to your plumbing waste and vent system in any way.

                    If your sump is collecting water from a plumbing fixture, then you need to run a vent to open air, or connect it to your plumbing vent system. The cover on top of the sump must also be sealed airtight with gaskets or caulk.
                    The sump pump will ONLY collecting the ground water. Vent is only for possible ground gas (radon?). I can easily vent itself to the outside open air. But the plumbing vent system is closer and easier to me. That is why I am asking. I will NOT connect to the plumbing vent system but direct it to outside open air.

                    The sump will be sealed with gaskets.

                    thanks,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

                      Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
                      Why I am here? ask experts! if you don't want to answer question, why you waste your time here? "ask a professional" and "ask your inspector" should NOT be a answer here. I know code is different state by state. But there must be something in common. I just want to know what's YOUR opinion. I will make the decision. I will take ALL responsibilities about what I am doing.

                      This forum is a very useful resource for me to learn. There are many real experts and experienced good guys answering questions. But I am not solely rely on here. I am also doing research, learning from other many places. I learnt a lot recently. I learnt p-trap, vent (wet vent, directly vent, why need it), check valve,.... Everybody starts from first grade. You are NOT the exception, I think. I will be in Middle school soon because so many real professinal will to help me.

                      If I know all I asked, I will not be here to waste everybody's time. But my question will be less and less.

                      Please don't waste your time to recommend me to ask somebody else. I knew that.
                      Wrong.

                      I don't feel it's a waste of time. I really thought it was my opinion and reasonable advice.

                      I definitely have tons to learn myself and ask many questions. Based on all of the threads you have started and the differing answers, the right thing to do is to ask local inspections because they have the interpretation for your area.

                      In short, you should get the best opinion there. Not always, inspectors can't know everything either.

                      Why wouldn't you?


                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: can I connect sump pump vent to drain vent?

                        I agree with Jc after having been an Inspector for 21 years (2 different states AZ. AND CA.and 5 different cities) your best advice is from your municipality. It's free and is given with no malice afore thought. (Unless you are doing this without a permit!) in which case you need to take all the advice you can get. and you won't be in middle school any time soon.

                        just my 2 cents

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X