X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath Tub Seal Questions...

I have a glamor bath tub which is lined by ceramic tile. There is a small crack the exists between the tub and the tile. What is the best sealer to use so water does not get into the crack and make it worse? I would like to use clear caulk.

Thanks,
    BB

Re: Bath Tub Seal Questions...

ALWAYS! Any existing grout between tub and tile rake out and clean up real good. Then fill tub with water so it settles a bit . Then caulk.
    Tubs move and grout to tub always crack, so caulk only. NEXT
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuckeye View Post
      I have a glamor bath tub which is lined by ceramic tile. There is a small crack the exists between the tub and the tile. What is the best sealer to use so water does not get into the crack and make it worse? I would like to use clear caulk.

Thanks,
      BB
      Personally I like clear silicone because it stays flexible. I like GE Silicone II. Low odor and it tools well. The problem with silicone is that it seems to attract dirt and will turn dark after a few years. (Low odor mineral spirits can be helpful here.

Other than that Latex caulk is effective. It's not flexible however. I personally like Dap brand clear. Use a clean soft sponge to wipe off excess Dap.

Try to keep the joint as small as possible because large joints look hideous.

Good luck!
      Tool's advice on prepping the joint is spot on imho.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Check with a local tile distributor. Find one that carries Custom Building Products materials. They now have 100% silicon that is color matched.

Personally I would clean it out and re-grout it.

Comment

I second the GE Silicone II...
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Thank you gentlemen... I will start the project with a good cleaning...(tooth brush clean)... then get on this the clear silicon...

Comment

Working...
            X