Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowner catches house on firepairing frozen pipe

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...98/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A large house fire in Colorado Springs apparently started when a man was trying to fix a broken water pipe.

When firefighters arrived at the home at 4208 Crowells Mill Square, they found the roof on fire and flames jumping 10 feet into the sky.

The homeowner and his dog got out safely.

Lt. Stacy Billapando with Colorado Springs Fire said the homeowner was using a torch to weld a broken water pipe in the bathroom when the fire started. The man thought he put it out, but it spread to the attic.

"Unfortunately, fire doesn't always give up that easy," said Billapando. "It did creep up into his attic space and arriving companies found the whole attic completely involved in fire."

Billapando said this is the third fire she has seen recently involving people trying to defrost or repair a broken water pipe.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Homeowner catches house on firepairing frozen pipe

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...98/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A large house fire in Colorado Springs apparently started when a man was trying to fix a broken water pipe.

When firefighters arrived at the home at 4208 Crowells Mill Square, they found the roof on fire and flames jumping 10 feet into the sky.

The homeowner and his dog got out safely.

Lt. Stacy Billapando with Colorado Springs Fire said the homeowner was using a torch to weld a broken water pipe in the bathroom when the fire started. The man thought he put it out, but it spread to the attic.

"Unfortunately, fire doesn't always give up that easy," said Billapando. "It did creep up into his attic space and arriving companies found the whole attic completely involved in fire."

Billapando said this is the third fire she has seen recently involving people trying to defrost or repair a broken water pipe.
    Oh god..The fire departments new logo "Shark Bites Save Lives"
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ha...(shark-bites)....better than blowing yourself up lighting your own water heater...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Ive heard of this several times before.
        www.Precision-Plumbing.com
        ‎(469)-248-2136 Precision Plumbing providing Service Repair Remodels Installing Quality Products With a Best Rate, Best Warranty Guarantee! Serving the Dallas,Texas DFW MetroPlex for Over 10 Years! Clean job sites, Quality work. Service You Can Trust! M-39887

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          Ha...(shark-bites)....better than blowing yourself up lighting your own water heater...
          Was that how the house burnt down

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Was that how the house burnt down

No....I'm saying its better that this guy caught his house on fire rather than somebody trying to light their water heater and it exploding....and I'm sure that guy in CO who caught his house on fire is thinking that sucked but at least he didn't die....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              No....I'm saying its better that this guy caught his house on fire rather than somebody trying to light their water heater and it exploding....and I'm sure that guy in CO who caught his house on fire is thinking that sucked but at least he didn't die....

Definitely, I have known a few people that had things go bad when trying to relight water heaters and furnaces..myself included

Comment

Even the plumbers can't be too carfull, I always soak the wood with a water spray bottle around where I'm heating.....Glad to hear they got out safe.
                Rockwood Excavating
                Rockwood Snow Plowingsigpic
                wooden burl bowls

Comment

at least the guy wasn't installing a shower valve or we'd never hear the end of it
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X