X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber Starts Fire!!!

I was working on a 100+ year old farmhouse in the country being remodeled into a bed and breakfast inn and I was soldering some valves on some 3/4" copper stubs ouside that were 1" from the plywood outside wall and the tarpaper inside the wall caught fire and the wall turned into an inferno almost instantly. Of course the water was off to the house at the time (duh) and my spray bottle didn't go very far. A quick thinking carpenter cut some large windows in the wall and we got the water back on and got it all out. No matter how many years you have been doing it freak things can happen. Be preparred!

Comment

i use the leak detector spray we have to wet things down before i light up and we always have a fire extinguisher with us

but now like today i chose not to solder it was in tight spot so i used my pro press i love that tool ,waiting for the rings so i can get in tighter spots
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Last I checked for insurers in structures the 2 biggest claims:

1) Fire Damage
        2) Water Damage

Guess which two plumbers work with.

J.C.

Comment

I remember running some 4, 6, and 8" copper in a big commercial laundry years ago and that place was loaded with lint. It was a nightmare to solder in that place anywhere near the ceiling. All the beams had a couple inches of lint laying up there and if you got too close with the torch Whoosh! that stuff was lit up like the 4th of July!

We used a shop vac to suck up the lint and a water bottle to wet down the wood beams.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I remember running some 4, 6, and 8" copper in a big commercial laundry years ago and that place was loaded with lint. It was a nightmare to solder in that place anywhere near the ceiling. All the beams had a couple inches of lint laying up there and if you got too close with the torch Whoosh! that stuff was lit up like the 4th of July!

We used a shop vac to suck up the lint and a water bottle to wet down the wood beams.
            Or a flour mill. I won't even walk in there with anything "sparky".

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
              I was working on a 100+ year old farmhouse in the country being remodeled into a bed and breakfast inn and I was soldering some valves on some 3/4" copper stubs ouside that were 1" from the plywood outside wall and the tarpaper inside the wall caught fire and the wall turned into an inferno almost instantly. Of course the water was off to the house at the time (duh) and my spray bottle didn't go very far. A quick thinking carpenter cut some large windows in the wall and we got the water back on and got it all out. No matter how many years you have been doing it freak things can happen. Be preparred!
              Yes freak things can happen like you say and it only takes once. Great post! Great thread.

Comment

Working...
              X