• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber Starts Fire!!!

http://www.villagenewsonline.com/node/4080

An infrequent cause, but a cause just the same

By Pete Hypes | Feb 16, 2011
    As we were driving home from Nags Head this past Saturday, we passed by an apartment building in Chesapeake that was on fire. In fact, Chesapeake fire units were just arriving as we passed by on Interstate 64, crossing the Elizabeth River. Once I got home, I began a search to learn what I could about this fire. The WAVY10 website gave me the information I was looking for. The fire went to a second alarm and damaged all eight units in an unoccupied apartment building that was under renovation.
    A couple of days later, I learned that the fire was deemed accidental, apparently caused by work that the plumbers had been doing in the building. You might wonder how fire investigators can narrow the point of origin down to a specific area, but extensive training, experience of investigators, reports of witnesses and first-arriving firefighters, and burn patterns and indicators lead them to the area where the fire started. In this case, the area of origin was determined to be where the plumbers had probably been sweating copper pipe. In other words, they were using a propane torch to heat up copper fittings.

Re: Plumber Starts Fire!!!

i bet you the plumber wish he had propress

my buddy is an arson/ fire investigator and works for the insurance companies.

last year i went to south dakota and minnesota on 2 jobs with him. it's pretty fascinating work. sort of like csi to discover the cause of the fire.

both jobs went well and both we figured out the cause.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In 30 years of plumbing I'm thankful I've only burned down one house. Still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I drive by.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        In 30 years of plumbing I'm thankful I've only burned down one house. Still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I drive by.
        Had a friend of mine burn a few down years ago..One started then caught the others on ..Cedar shake shingles should be outlawed...Felt so bad for him
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

And that is why a plumber working without the proper insurance is a bone head

Comment

I use the Ridgid RT-100 electric soldering tongs in less than desirable conditions. Customers really get a kick out of it ......never saw such a thing

I really don't like leaving char especially where customers will see it. Even if its going to be covered. Doesn't look pro. IMHO

wookie

Comment

Gotta use a heat shield. I sometimes cut some sheet metal to use as a heat barrier and it works great. Also you can purchase a fireproof fabric for use at most wholesales. There is no excuse except laziness and carelessness in most cases of scorching during soldering.

Comment

I use copperbond 2000. Problem solved.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                  Gotta use a heat shield. I sometimes cut some sheet metal to use as a heat barrier and it works great. Also you can purchase a fireproof fabric for use at most wholesales. There is no excuse except laziness and carelessness in most cases of scorching during soldering.
                  I'll do the same if I need to. I'll try to wet the area behind the joint, then put a folded piece of sheet steel behind it (2 layers seems to work better than 1). Now that I think about it..... one of those fire stop pads sandwiched between two layers of sheet metal would be Ideal
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                    I use copperbond 2000. Problem solved.
                    Is that the 2 part epoxy for copper?
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I never burnt a house down, and I don't stick any flames in small areas/holes where I don't have control.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        And that is why a plumber working without the proper insurance is a bone head
                        And also why people should not hire them. If they (the customer) knows or doesn't ask if the contractor is insured then to me they are on the hook to some degree for anything that happens as they chose to go ahead knowing the contractor was not insured.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

i find a soapy water spray bottle clings to the wood better, cools better and allows you to clean your joints and hands afterwards. then you can test your gas lines with the same mix.

exterior walls with lathing paper are the ones to watch out for. also near top plates where a draft will suck up the heat and flame. they also have sawdust and shavings on top of the plates that can go up pretty quickly.

don't need a fire extinguisher with propress

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I always spray a fire preventive gel into stud cavity's . I also use a spray bottle of water and shoot up higher into open access repair holes. Burned up an auto once welding a frame!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If too close for comfort (or a heat blanket) I will make a sub-assembly and install it with some couplings located in an easier spot.

But then again, working on my own home I have more time to screw around than a pro that needs to finish and get outta there.

Comment

Working...
                              X