• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Venting for a basement utility sink

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    Did the code change?

I didn't think you could use a AAV on a pump system
    I will double check..I know people have told me they have used studor vents on sewage ejector crocks
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      I will double check..I know people have told me they have used studor vents on sewage ejector crocks
      Just because you can, means you should?

I would lost my mind if I hired a plumber to install an ejector basin and he used a studor instead of properly venting the basin.

Comment

Section 917 for those in I.P.C. area's.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkfish View Post
          Thanks - that's sort of what I ended up doing - I opened up a stud bay upstairs and tied into the existing main vent. Job completed.
          How many story house do you live in?

Comment

Read line number 3 under the CAUTION box of this zoller pump pacakage system.
            https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/libra...sset=108682,63

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Read line number 3 under the CAUTION box of this zoller pump pacakage system.
              https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/libra...sset=108682,63
              Right , you have to run a seperate vent for their system as I have in the past..You were stating why run a vent off a laundry pump. This particular system you have to..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Right , you have to run a seperate vent for their system as I have in the past..You were stating why run a vent off a laundry pump. This particular system you have to..
                Zoeller says dont use mechanical vents so I was wondering why you use them. I always vent my container by traditional methods. The sink wouldn't need a seperate vent at all if it was within the allowable distance from the trap to the container....which serves as the sinks vent. So why the studor?

Comment

Zoeller says dont use mechanical vents so I was wondering why you use them. I always vent my container by traditional methods. The sink wouldn't need a seperate vent at all if it was within the allowable distance from the trap to the container....which serves as the sinks vent. So why the studor?
                  Sorry misunderstood, I always run vents off mine as well..I thought you were allowed to use studer vents on them ..guess not....
                  It's good he was able to bring the vent up and tie back ..That's great..I too would like to see pics of the finished work..

Comment

How about some pics of the new work???? You connected the vent upstairs but where did you connect with the pump discharge?
                    Sure thing. The I hooked the discharge into the 2" horizontal pipe (coming from the upstairs kitchen.) Please look past the overly liberal use of purple primer.

Comment

Sure thing. The I hooked the discharge into the 2" horizontal pipe (coming from the upstairs kitchen.) Please look past the overly liberal use of purple primer.

Everything looks nice, and you're even above the center line of the drain. However, if I'm correct you have to be above the highest fixtures flood rim on that line, which would be the kitchen sink to tie in your vent.

Comment

I would have liked to see more 45's than those 90's. And why did you offset the discharge at the top instead of installing the pipe against the wall. and on the other side of your 2" k-sink drain.....it looks like you had room because the junction box has room. The pex isn't going anywhere is it. Does the pump have an internal check valve? Either way you should have added a ballvalve so you can remove the pump without dealing with all the water being held in the discharge line. I dont like the board under the lavatory faucet either....or the faucet. I'm betting that wye could have been installed without the use of that mission band...it looks like its sagging right there a bit also.
                        Last edited by TheMaster; 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

According to our latest incarnation of the Idiots Plumbing Code, you can install a mechanical vent on an ejector tank provided the installation meets engineering design. Super, so guess who happens to have an approved engineering design for installing a mechanical vent on an ejector tank? Why yes folks, that would be the Studor company and you too can get your free copy just by logging on to their web site. NH code will allow it and I'm a betting that yours probably does too. Ain't plumbing fun? It sure as hell don't require too much brains anymore
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            According to our latest incarnation of the Idiots Plumbing Code, you can install a mechanical vent on an ejector tank provided the installation meets engineering design. Super, so guess who happens to have an approved engineering design for installing a mechanical vent on an ejector tank? Why yes folks, that would be the Studor company and you too can get your free copy just by logging on to their web site. NH code will allow it and I'm a betting that yours probably does too. Ain't plumbing fun? It sure as hell don't require too much brains anymore
                            I don't know why we went to I.P.C., but the brain trust out of S.E. Pa..wanted to see our state go National Standard.

I have to think they went to I.P.C. to make it easier for everyone to do including homeowners.

Comment

I would have liked to see more 45's than those 90's. And why did you offset the discharge at the top instead of installing the pipe against the wall. and on the other side of your 2" k-sink drain.....it looks like you had room because the junction box has room. The pex isn't going anywhere is it. Does the pump have an internal check valve? Either way you should have added a ballvalve so you can remove the pump without dealing with all the water being held in the discharge line. I dont like the board under the lavatory faucet either....or the faucet. I'm betting that wye could have been installed without the use of that mission band...it looks like its sagging right there a bit also.
                              Thanks for the feedback. If you couldn't tell I'm a happy homeowner and a plumbing novice - responses like this are truly helpful - seriously.

I did initially try to get the discharge line against the wall, but I was about 1/4" too tight - I would have much preferred to have it set up as you mentioned.

PEX staples - yeah, I decided that since I bought a couple of bags at the orange box I might as well use them all up - I totally thought it was overkill when I was hammering them in, but then again I'm a big fan of Norm Abrams' saying "not that isn't going anywhere"

I hadn't considered a valve on the discharge - good idea.

I did try to get that wye in there without the Fernco coupling, but there wasn't enough slack to get the fitting in there. Good call on the sagging though - it's water tight but I will check that out in the AM.

Re: that odd piece of mahogany under the faucet. That's totally temporary. We're going to be replacing our kitchen sink in the next couple of months and when that happens I'll be installing the old gooseneck faucet on this utility sink...the wood spacer is there for now so I can get 5 gallon buckets in the sink for the time being (I'm in the middle of a 700 sq ft tiling job and need to get those buckets in there.)

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. If you couldn't tell I'm a happy homeowner and a plumbing novice - responses like this are truly helpful - seriously.

I did initially try to get the discharge line against the wall, but I was about 1/4" too tight - I would have much preferred to have it set up as you mentioned.

PEX staples - yeah, I decided that since I bought a couple of bags at the orange box I might as well use them all up - I totally thought it was overkill when I was hammering them in, but then again I'm a big fan of Norm Abrams' saying "not that isn't going anywhere"

I hadn't considered a valve on the discharge - good idea.

I did try to get that wye in there without the Fernco coupling, but there wasn't enough slack to get the fitting in there. Good call on the sagging though - it's water tight but I will check that out in the AM.

Re: that odd piece of mahogany under the faucet. That's totally temporary. We're going to be replacing our kitchen sink in the next couple of months and when that happens I'll be installing the old gooseneck faucet on this utility sink...the wood spacer is there for now so I can get 5 gallon buckets in the sink for the time being (I'm in the middle of a 700 sq ft tiling job and need to get those buckets in there.)

Thanks again to all for the feedback.
                                Thanks for answering without getting offended. Goodluck with your projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X