Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting for a basement utility sink

Hello,

I have question for you guys - I'm looking to put in a utility sink in my basement and use a gray water pump to eject the sink contents to our septic.

The difficulty I am having is finding a way to vent the sink in an acceptable fashion without tearing apart walls in our upstairs living area. I'm seeing a number of different opinions on this subject and am wondering your thoughts.

I had considered a few options (including tying both the drain and the vent into the horizontal 2" PVC in the picture OR adding a 4 x 4 x 1-1/2" WYE to where the current cleanout is and putting a new cleanout behind that.). Orange box guy told me to just use a studor vent.

Any advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Monk (in NH)

Last edited by Monkfish; 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM.

Re: Venting for a basement utility sink

Don't know what else that existing 2" line is serving ..Would probably want a seperate 2" line for that whether that means adding another 4x2 wye or whatever. Probably a lot of hacks would take that plug outta the 2" line and tie the discharge into it ..not me ..Do not tie the vent into the 2" drain line , you will have accomplished nothing but having whatever the 2" line serves flow back down into your pit..Use a studor vent if your code allows ..Nice dart board ..play cricket?
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Boy...that 4" cleanout looks really tempting to use.

NHmaster is your man to ask since he knows your code.

Comment

It does ...the only thing is you woud have to pluck the fitting outta the 4' wye that's there put a 4x2 wye on it's back with another cleanout plug in the end of that ..maybe not so esay

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback. Based in part on the info here I ended up going all out and cracking open one of the upstairs rooms and attaching the sink vent to the main vent for the house.

OLD1 - sadly my dartboard was sacrificed to make room for this project.
          It's actually probably for the best - I'll find a new spot for my cricket games (I can't imagine that playing darts next to PEX is a good idea)

Thanks again!
          Monk

Comment

Could you go along a joist channel to a sink or vanity, go up inside its cabinet and tie into its vent in the wall?
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Why are you venting a sink that will have a pump on it?

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Don't know what else that existing 2" line is serving ..Would probably want a seperate 2" line for that whether that means adding another 4x2 wye or whatever. Probably a lot of hacks would take that plug outta the 2" line and tie the discharge into it ..not me ..Do not tie the vent into the 2" drain line , you will have accomplished nothing but having whatever the 2" line serves flow back down into your pit..Use a studor vent if your code allows ..Nice dart board ..play cricket?
                Venting a pump system with a studor will not work. A studor only allows air In...it will not allow air out.

I would install the sink and not vent the sink...but locate the pump system within the allowable developed lenght from the pump/vent.

This will vent the sink and the pump all at one time.

Lay a wye on its back in the 2" drain and connect the drain from the pump to it to it.....then upstream of that wye add another wye for the vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                  Could you go along a joist channel to a sink or vanity, go up inside its cabinet and tie into its vent in the wall?

Thanks - that's sort of what I ended up doing - I opened up a stud bay upstairs and tied into the existing main vent. Job completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkfish View Post
                    Thanks - that's sort of what I ended up doing - I opened up a stud bay upstairs and tied into the existing main vent. Job completed.
                    How about some pics of the new work???? You connected the vent upstairs but where did you connect with the pump discharge?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Why are you venting a sink that will have a pump on it?
                      The ones I have installed have a vent that comes off of them..Not just a pump but more of a sump crock with a pump installed .
                      Last edited by OLD1; 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

The ones I have installed have a vent that comes off of them..Not just a pump but more of a sump crock with a pump installed ..Any we are allowed to install studor vebns on these crocks
                        We use Hartell pumps, and I've used the type you just mentioned, and the LTA series where there is no venting at all. We can use studors here as well, but never vented back into the system before.

Comment

The ones I have installed have a vent that comes off of them..Not just a pump but more of a sump crock with a pump installed ..Any we are allowed to install studor vebns on these crocks
                          What use is a studor on a pump container system for a laundry sink? What brand do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            What use is a studor on a pump container system for a laundry sink? What brand do you use?
                            http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=62

Comment

Did the code change?

I didn't think you could use a AAV on a pump system

Comment

Working...
                              X