• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkfish
    started a topic Venting for a basement utility sink

Venting for a basement utility sink

Hello,

I have question for you guys - I'm looking to put in a utility sink in my basement and use a gray water pump to eject the sink contents to our septic.

The difficulty I am having is finding a way to vent the sink in an acceptable fashion without tearing apart walls in our upstairs living area. I'm seeing a number of different opinions on this subject and am wondering your thoughts.

I had considered a few options (including tying both the drain and the vent into the horizontal 2" PVC in the picture OR adding a 4 x 4 x 1-1/2" WYE to where the current cleanout is and putting a new cleanout behind that.). Orange box guy told me to just use a studor vent.

Any advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Monk (in NH)

Last edited by Monkfish; 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM.

• rmurf69
    replied
    Re: Venting for a basement utility sink

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Have you paid your dues yet? If not make checks payable to nhmaster3015
    I see you received my check and thankyou.

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

Have you paid your dues yet? If not make checks payable to nhmaster3015

Leave a comment:

• rmurf69
    replied

It seems I do not have some of the toolbar options in my message format, like Multi quote,Thanks,Edit,Quick reply or Blog this message. Whats up with that?

Leave a comment:

• rmurf69
    replied

Why can't I reply with a quote like the rest of you seem to do? I hit quote button,but it asks me to log in,when I am already logged on. Then when I try to log on again it just brings me back to the log on screen. The only way it seems I can post in threads is if I go to the beginning of the thread and hit the post button there.

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

Originally posted by rmurf69 View Post
    In the basement of every building there shall be an accessible future vent connection. Buildings that require a main vent stack shall have a future vent connection full size of said vent stack. In all other buildings (including residential) there shall be a minimum of a two inch future vent connection. All future vent connections shall be drip connected and labeled. So start peeling that insulation down and look for your future vent.
    rmurf that's Mass code where plumbing is still plumbing and plumbers are still plumbers. The IPC dropped the future vent requirement over 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Gift
    replied

Originally posted by rmurf69 View Post
    In the basement of every building there shall be an accessible future vent connection. Buildings that require a main vent stack shall have a future vent connection full size of said vent stack. In all other buildings (including residential) there shall be a minimum of a two inch future vent connection. All future vent connections shall be drip connected and labeled...
    Would this apply to a house built in 2000 in unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado?
    Would a "future vent connection" look like an inverted Wye with piece of capped pipe descending from it?
    Does "drip connected" mean something my boss putogether?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rmurf69
    replied

In the basement of every building there shall be an accessible future vent connection. Buildings that require a main vent stack shall have a future vent connection full size of said vent stack. In all other buildings (including residential) there shall be a minimum of a two inch future vent connection. All future vent connections shall be drip connected and labeled. So start peeling that insulation down and look for your future vent.

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

When was the last time you ran across a pneumatic ejector?

Leave a comment:

• geno gardner
    replied

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    Boy I really need to open up a new code book.

I thought ejector vents had to terminate separately from the rest of the plumbing system. Has THAT changed too?
    Here in Mn if the sewage ejector pump is pneumatically operated the vent must run separately through the roof, if the ejector is electrically powered the vent may be joined to the rest of the waste and vent system. Mn has it's own State plumbing code but it's similar to the rest of them.

I've never seen a pneumatically operated sewage ejector.

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

The tank vent vents the tank not the fixture. The elbows are fine.

Leave a comment:

• rmurf69
    replied

Did you look for a future vent?

Leave a comment:

• dlarrivee
    replied

I just thought the 3 1/4 bends right out the top of the basin was pretty convoluted, and definitely not high enough to go horizontal yet...

Leave a comment:

• geno gardner
    replied

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    You use to be allowed as long as there was an accessible cleanout within 24" of where you broke the vent flat or something like that
    In Mn, which uses the Minnesota Plumbing Code, the vent would have to be 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture in that branch interval. (Assuming the laundry tub is the tallest fixture in the basement, the vent would have to be 6" above that before it could be run flat.

No mechanical vents are allowed. Period. Vents must terminate in open air.

Perhaps the code is different where you are.

Leave a comment:

• dlarrivee
    replied

Strange, I don't think that installation would pass inspection where I come from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X