X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" PEX to 1/4" tubing

Our house has PEX piping throughout and while I have no issues with it, I'm having a hard time finding a solution to what I thought would be an easy DIY plumbing task.

I installed an under-the-counter water filter and used a saddle valve off the cold copper line to the faucet. I'm not a huge fan of saddle valves and I was in a hurry but now I'm thinking of cleaning up my install and doing it properly. I have a 3/4" PEX line that I would like to source from and connect to the 1/4" tubing that feeds the water filter.

My first thought was a 3/4" to 1/2" tee, crimped, and then 1/2" PEX to a reducing quick connector, 1/2" to 1/4". Then I'd connect the 1/4" tubing, maybe add a ball valve somewhere for good measure (John Guest makes a decent quick fit one.) My problem is that I cannot for the life of me find a quick-connect 1/2" to 1/4" reducer.

Does anyone know of a product or a better way to approach this (without soldering)?

Thank you in advance. Much appreciated.

Re: 3/4" PEX to 1/4" tubing

Use a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" pex tee. Then add a push connect #PB944A 1/2" x 1/4" valve. Valve is at pushconnect.com. Most plumbing supply houses should have what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbfast View Post
      Use a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" pex tee. Then add a push connect #PB944A 1/2" x 1/4" valve. Valve is at pushconnect.com. Most plumbing supply houses should have what you need.
      Well...there u go...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the saddle valves either and it is good measure that you decided to bypass that "temp" saddle install and do it right. Love guys that know when to say no!
        On the other hand, I am not a big fan of the push connect fittings- as I have had issues in the past with them not standing the test of time. Therefore, I shall insert my $.02 regarding this issue. Please, just take it or leave it. I am in no way criticizing any other suggestions here as they are sound and in good jest. I am merely stating my preferred method that I would perform if it were my kitchen sink cabinet that I was working in.
        Parts as follows:
        3/4" Barbed x 3/4 " Barbed x 1/2" Male ips
        Screw a 1/2" Brass Ball Valve to the 1/2" ips male branch
        and terminate out the the brass ball valve with a 1/2" male ips x 1/4" Compression adapter. If you are using plastic 1/4" tubing with that filter, then be sure to purchase the 1/4" Brass inserts and ferrule to enable a nice secured water-tite connection to the compression adapter and you are golden!.

Comment

Cant you just use a dual angle stop?

Comment

Actually, A dual angle stop on the cold side would be ideal and simple. Not sure how far into this you are but you do not have a PEX Tool then your best bet is to cut the 1/2 copper supply line behind the saddle-valve's pin-prick point and install a new 1/2" Compression x dual 1/4" dual compression stop. You'd better hope the OP stubbed out enough copper on the trim phase to allow this or you may be short on length.

Comment

I know what to do with it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by BornOnFire View Post
                Parts as follows:
                3/4" Barbed x 3/4 " Barbed x 1/2" Male ips
                Screw a 1/2" Brass Ball Valve to the 1/2" ips male branch
                and terminate out the the brass ball valve with a 1/2" male ips x 1/4" Compression adapter. If you are using plastic 1/4" tubing with that filter, then be sure to purchase the 1/4" Brass inserts and ferrule to enable a nice secured water-tite connection to the compression adapter and you are golden!.
                I like this better. Nice thing about having a separate valve for the filter instead of the dual outlet valve is that if anything leaks or breaks, you don't have to shut off the faucet cold supply to shut off water to the filter.
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Aaaah, so many options. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I'm pretty new to plumbing, with the exception of idiot-proof jobs like connecting a dishwasher or new faucet. Since my water lines are run with PEX, I was trying to keep it relatively simple. I've found a few other options, primarily using an angle stop like:

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/sha...4-od-lead-free

One of the reasons I'm trying to get away from sourcing off the copper line that runs to the tap is that I've found after running warm/hot water from the sink faucet, if I immediately use the water filter, without running cold water through the sink faucet first, for some reason warm water is being drawn through it. Carbon filters don't really like warm water and I have no idea what it does to AAL filters. It is annoying having to remember to run cold water first. I didn't even consider that this was a possibility.

That's what got me thinking about using a tee off the 3/4" line that runs underneath the floor and feeds the 1/2" lines that run to the kitchen sink. I figure if I source off this line, I shouldn't get any hot water drawn through the filter.

As I said, I'm still pretty much a newbie, so perhaps this all sounds a bit silly or overkill to you guys.

I think I'm going to tackle the whole house filter this weekend as it should be much quicker. It gives me an excuse to buy some more tools too, though PEX tools seem rather expensive for what they are...

Thanks again.
                  Last edited by Digitalfiend; 02-19-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X