Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shower stall only, no bathtub, legal in house?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower stall only, no bathtub, legal in house?

My friend, only 70, died in my arms in his house.
    I called 9-1-1 and administered CPR but he was pronouncedead athe scene.

His sister is having a retired contractor work on the house. (Was their parent's house, built 1940's, I think.)
    He tore out the bathtub and plans to put in a shower stall.

Can a house have only a shower stall and no bathtub?

I advised her to put in a shower, meaning a riser and pipe coming out of the wall at the front of the bathtub - which is what her deceased brother had wanted me to do.

Thank you,

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Shower stall only, no bathtub, legal in house?

Its legal, really dumb but its legal

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Its legal, really dumb but its legal
      Thanks.
      My wife and I have never used our bathtub. Only shower.
      But when I am achey fromoving heavy furniture, etc, it might be nice
      to soak in hot water sometime.

Robert

In China, none of the apartments have bathtubs.
      You pull a shower curtain to close off the end of the bathroom.
      The drain is in a corner of the floor.
      Drain cover has an inside cup reservoir creating a water trap.

Comment

Try washing a young child in one of those shower stalls. makes it a lot easier in a tub, not haveing one makes an impact on resale value.

Comment

I never realized how important a tub was til i had my daughter....I definitely recommend a tub/shower...

Comment

I agree, having a tub in the house might make the difference between getting it sold (if that's the plan) and having to drop the asking price.

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's one thing to hear about someone going and another to have it happen right in front of you
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
              I agree, having a tub in the house might make the difference between getting it sold (if that's the plan) and having to drop the asking price.

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's one thing to hear about someone going and another to have it happen right in front of you
              Thank you.
              Better that I was there to do effective CPR.
              Sister was glad that he died in the presence of someone he loved.
              She feared that police one day would find her and say thathey found his body two weeks after death.

A resident of a southern state, she wants to use the house as a summer house.

Comment

robert

she should do as she pleases. it's her money. i repeat it's her money. i plumbed a house once for some people with just a half bath. none of my business. a lot of rentals around here have shower only. cheaper. breid...................

Comment

Re: robert

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  she should do as she pleases. it's her money. i repeat it's her money. i plumbed a house once for some people with just a half bath. none of my business. a lot of rentals around here have shower only. cheaper. breid...................
                  When I was in the Navy and stationed on a sub, there was a guy who never EVER took a shower for the 100 or so days we were on turnover or patrol. I took three patrols where he was also on the boat. So clearly a half bath can work for some people. On the other hand, none of the rest of the crew appreciated the situation. They referred to him as "Stinky"I'm just grateful he wasn't a sonar tech.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Everyone's free to do as they please... but it does seem shortsighted not to consider the effect on resale.

I suppose if she has trouble stepping over the tub that could be a good reason for a shower only. I know this is true for some older folks. But in that case I would design the shower so that it can be easily converted back to a tub/shower when the time comes to sell. Those el-cheapo plastic shower units with the built in pan come to mind...

Comment

Yes.
                      The purchasers will have to put in a tub if they want one.

Comment

I was actually thinking that the seller would put the tub in before listing the property. If it's laid out now to make that easy (cheap) they I would think it would net her more on the sale. Lots of people won't even consider a house without a tub. If you're restricting the appeal of the home, it will pull a lower price. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          I was actually thinking that the seller would put the tub in before listing the property. If it's laid out now to make that easy (cheap) they I would think it would net her more on the sale. Lots of people won't even consider a house without a tub. If you're restricting the appeal of the home, it will pull a lower price. Just a thought.
                          Agreed.
                          Even though my wife and I have never used our bathtub, its good to have if needed.
                          In our previous house, we last used one to wash Chester, our beloved, sensitive Chesapeake Bay Retreiver. (He'd feel guilty if he barked at a duck.)
                          Now, with our used toy poodle from the Denver Dumb Friend's League, we use the laundry utility tub.

Comment

Working...
                          X