X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wittel

I had a Rinnai R75LS hot water heater installed in my house about 6 months ago. Twice since I have had it the heater will kick out. I will be showering with no other hot water being used. All of a sudden the water will be ice cold. If I turn water off and don't use it for a minute or so and restart everything works fine. Any suggestions

Re: wittel

If it starts producing hot water again on it's own (without producing an error code lockout) it's probably because the hot water flow dropped below .5 gallons/min.

If the temperature on the heater is set too high this will happen more often. Try lowering it 5 degrees and see if it still happens.

Could be a problem with the shower mixing valve also

Comment

Wondering about electrical connections and gas pressure.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Wondering about electrical connections and gas pressure.

J.C.
        I'm leaning towards gas flow myself....
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

If gas pressure drops too low it goes into lockout, the alarm sounds and flashes error code 12

Comment

what has the plumber and rinnai said about your situation? are there any codes that flashed?

now if you all of a sudden turned down the pressure/ volume of your shower while in use, such as a shower head volume control while you lather, the heater will shut off once it's under 1/2gpm. then it will take approx 10 seconds to recover and start back up. during this time, you will get a cold water sandwich in the line.

there are newer heaters that have an instant restart as long as the water is turned back on within 1 minute. these heaters don't have to cycle the whole start up cycle like the original tankless designs.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              If gas pressure drops too low it goes into lockout, the alarm sounds and flashes error code 12
              Will that happen if there is a problem with the gas valve?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Will that happen if there is a problem with the gas valve?

Thanks.

J.C.
                Not sure, but I would say yes.

It's smart enough to know that if its not getting enough gas to the burner for whatever reason; pressure, volume, type of gas, it locks out.

Just turning off the water and back on again won't reset the lockout on it's own. It has to be powered off at the unit.

Comment

Never thought of it before until this post....if your conventional water heater quits out on you, most often you will be able to finish your shower. If the tankless quits out on you, you're S______!

....In Toronto with cold water at 39oF....that hurts!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                    Never thought of it before until this post....if your conventional water heater quits out on you, most often you will be able to finish your shower. If the tankless quits out on you, you're S______!

....In Toronto with cold water at 39oF....that hurts!
                    and if the tank heater quits, it's typically a thermocouple or gas control valve. both on the shelf and in stock everywhere.

when that tankless takes a day off, it turns into a week of cold showers

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

We had a version of a tankless water heater when we lived in Italy. The main reason I would never own one is because if you have hard water they calcium up and have to be flushed out with Vinegar solution. This started happening about 6 months after we moved into a new row house. I could always tell when it was time to call the Landlord for the plumber when my wife let out a scream. The water would cycle from hot to cold and back throughout your shower.

Comment

Is the gas supply sized properly ? Calc. done? sure ?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Uh oh. Sounds like another bad tankless water heater story. What do you goes think of the Noritz outdoor models in the Southern California climate?

Comment

Working...
                          X