A.O. Smith FVIR 2003 Model FCV100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.O. Smith FVIR 2003 Model FCV100

Customer calls and says the water heater will heat a tank of water and shut itself down. He also says he had a hard time getting the pilot to stay lit. He would light the pilot and the burner would come on for 5 or 6 minutes and then it would shut down. Other times he said it would run for about 45 min to an hour.

I've been to the home and corrected the issue. The above is verbatim from my notes when the customer placed the service call. Anyone care to guess what the trouble was?

Re: A.O. Smith FVIR 2003 Model FCV100

Don't know. I've ran into a couple of situations with them.

1) A bad thermocouple assembly.

2) The Corderite filter thingy clogged with dust & lint.

What did you find?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

you mean other than its an A O Smith? IDK???
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The filter at the bottom was almost clogged and when the burner would cut off when the thermostat was satisfied the pilot would go out also. The pilot was burning pretty blue and strong. I cleaned the filter and replaced it and that was not happening anymore. I tested the thermocouple,magnet assembly and the high limit cut out. All tested fine. I inspected the vent and checked for gas leaks and called it good.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          The filter at the bottom was almost clogged and when the burner would cut off when the thermostat was satisfied the pilot would go out also. The pilot was burning pretty blue and strong. I cleaned the filter and replaced it and that was not happening anymore. I tested the thermocouple,magnet assembly and the high limit cut out. All tested fine. I inspected the vent and checked for gas leaks and called it good.
          I don't install A.O.'s or State at all because of these problems. Sometimes I think I'm a dumb businessman and should. More service calls.

That's the way much bigger business' do things now. Controlled inferiority for repeat business.

J.C.

Comment

Had the same call a few months ago ..reset the roll out switch and all has been good..Of course that was after vacuming out the burner chamber and replacing the thermocouple twice
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think its standard practice for AO SMITH to just gum up the flame sensor from the factory...about 6 months ago had like two weeks of cleaning dirty flame sensor...I just don't like um!!!
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
              X