Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viega PureFlow Pressfit installers in PDX area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viega PureFlow Pressfit installers in PDX area?

Looking for pipefitters in the Portland, OR area that install Viega PureFlow pressfit. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Viega PureFlow Pressfit installers in PDX area?

Not even crickets?

Comment

PM Ironranger, he does a lot with Viega
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbtoloczko View Post
        Looking for pipefitters in the Portland, OR area that install Viega PureFlow pressfit. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
        Have tools will travel.
        Plumbing or pipefitting ?

Comment

After much delibration I decided to go with Viega Pressfit PEX. The plumber I choose had never used it before (prefers Zurn Pex or Wirbso), but was willing give it a try. I did much of the sheet rock demo and was involved in much of the pipe routing and pipe size selection (went very oversize on line from the meter, the trunk line and the primary branches). Accounting for the usual challenges in repiping an existing house, I think they did a pretty good job. Some observations:

- The wall thickness of the pressfit bronze fittings is pretty thin. My plumber was a bit concerned. I am hoping that the bronze material is truly corrosion resistant, or those things will not last in the long run.
          - The relatively small amount of overlap between the fitting and the pipe is a little disconcerting. I hope the collars have a good amount of compressive force on the pipe.
          - 1/2" pex and fittings seem more like 3/8" to me. People like to talk about the higher flow velocity in PEX, but the turbulence created by the diameter stepdown when passing through a fitting has to negate much of that. IMHO, trunk lines should be at least 1", primary branches should be 3/4", and only secondary branches to stubouts should be 1/2".
          - In talking with the plumbers, they hated working with the Viega pressfit and the Viega UltraPex tubing. The tubing is very stiff, and the tools are fairly onnerous. And that was with them borrowing all the district rep's best tools (including the power presses). He told me that without a doubt, he would not do another house in Viega because of the difficulty in working with it. Kinda too bad, because even with my concerns noted above, I still think Viega pressfit PEX is the best choice.

I've now had two of my homes repiped with PEX, one with Viega and the other with Rehau. In both jobs, the place where the plumbers seem to not do a good job is on the placement and securing of the stubouts. The plumber that did the Viega made a reasonably good effort, but most of the stubout securing was done by their assistant. Several instances of crooked and floppy stubouts, even with the use of thick plumbers tape and attachment plates brazed onto the copper stubouts. Sometimes, the plates weren't secured well to something, and in other instances, the span between attachment points for the tape was too far. Seems like to get it right takes extra time and attention to detail that gets glossed over because the tape and plates are often not ideal solutions.

Comment

Working...
          X