X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water runs out in one shower, not the other

Our house has two showers and a 50-gallon, gas-fired hot water tank that is six years old. In one of the showers, the water often starts to get cool after it has been running for just 10 minutes. The rest of the house, including the other shower, still has plenty of hot water.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this? Thanks.

Re: Hot water runs out in one shower, not the other

Originally posted by Smile_n_Nod View Post
    Our house has two showers and a 50-gallon, gas-fired hot water tank that is six years old. In one of the showers, the water often starts to get cool after it has been running for just 10 minutes. The rest of the house, including the other shower, still has plenty of hot water.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this? Thanks.
    Yes it sounds like you may have pressure balanced faucets and the hot water limit stop is not set properly.

Are they one handle that turn counter clockwise? If so remove the handles set screw and remove the handle,then rotate the plastic piece to allow the handle to travel farther to the left,allowing more hot flow.

Comment

Yes, the handles are single, and rotate counter clockwise.

The shower starts with plenty of hot water and runs fine for about 10 minutes before the water gets cold. Would an incorrectly-set hot water limit stop cause this kind of behavior?

Thanks for your initial reply, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Smile_n_Nod View Post
        Yes, the handles are single, and rotate counter clockwise.

The shower starts with plenty of hot water and runs fine for about 10 minutes before the water gets cold. Would an incorrectly-set hot water limit stop cause this kind of behavior?

Thanks for your initial reply, by the way.
        In that same bath after the water goes cold in the shower can you get hot water at the lavatory and does that lavatory use the same hot water sypply as the shower that runs cold after 10 minutes?

Comment

If both the shower valves in your house are the same and you said they both turn on counter clockwise,does the shower that runs out of hot water handle rotate counter clockwise to the same degree angle as the shower that does NOT run out of hot water?

Comment

Hmmmmm......is their Moen installed anywhere?

J.C.

Comment

How interesting!
              I am not a plumber so I'm only guessing.

Is there a shutoff valve, which, when its body finally gets hot enough, something inside expands and limits flow?

What else could expand and occlude flow?
              Does the system have a recirculator?

If shorter pipe to that shower allows greater flow rate, perhaps the temperature balance valve is overeacting to the higher flow of hotter water.
              Could it be that a longer run to the other shower allows a lesser flow rate, due to friction loss, and its valve does not react as much either because the flow rate is less or the water has cooled somewhat before it gets to the valve?
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll try to adjust the hot water limiter first, and if the problem persists, I'll post back here with more details.

Comment

You have not told us what brand or model of shower valve you have. If I were on-site checking it out for you , based on what you have said, I would check to see if there is a pressure balancing spool. If there is and you can remove it, see if the inner part slides freely, is there any debris fouling it?

Comment

I looked at the shower controls last night and couldn't find any brand or manufacturer info. It is probably a cheap builder's-grade model. I'll take another look after work.

Comment

If you have a recirculating pump and a line that runs to the shower, cold water may be working its way into your hot line. The other faucets and showers maybe far enough away from the recirc line to be effected.

Comment

I took a couple pictures of the shower control with the handle removed. I still can't find any model information (I couldn't read anything in person, but I can see a few letters in one of the attached pictures: "G B A" and "LOWE...").

Tonight is "bath night" for the kids, so the water tank should get used heavily. I'll make sure they take long showers so the hot water runs out in their bathroom. When it does, I'll check whether the bathroom sink has hot water and whether the rest of the house still has hot water.

To answer TheMaster's question, the handle in the "bad" shower turns from about the 6 o'clock position (when off) to the 1:30 position (when on). The handle in the "good" shower (in the master bathroom) turns from about 6 o'clock (when off) to about 1 o'clock (when on). The shower controls in the master bath look similar (they have the same red and water hot/cold water indicators), but they have a little more decoration.

Anybody have any specific suggestions for this model?
                        Attached Files

Comment

sounds like you have a spring check valve after ur ricirc pump that will not close all the way and the return is pulled from that fixture/shw.to verify isolate pump than run shw..thats assuming u even have a pump.

Comment

Working...
                          X