Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump question

Hi,
    I got a Ridgid 1/2HP submersible sump pump with vertical float switch about 1/2 years ago to replace an old pump that quit working. It worked fine until couple days ago I noticed my cellar has started to flood with about 1/2 inch of water and the pump stopped working.

At first I thought the float switch might be stuck due to extra workload caused by large amount of snow been melted last week, I push the float and got the pump to start up again and got rid of the water. It worked fine until the next day when the pump stops again and the paddle reappears. It has been going on for past couple of days and I have to reset the pump 2-3 times a day to get the cycles started. I also notice some irregular break time in between some cycles, with the pump taking extra long time to in between the motor starts, just as I thought the float got stuck again. I was hoping if anyone can tell me if sump pump have and downtimes, and if not what might cause the switch to get stuck periodically all of sudden.
    Last edited by Taker; 02-24-2011, 12:31 AM.

Re: sump pump question

I'm not a plumber.

Does the float linkage have some corrosion or dirt adding some resistance so that it does not overcome the threshold resistance of throwing the switch on?
    Does the motor have a duty cycle?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

That's what I thought at first but the switch was stuck at on position as evident by the fact that the float is at the highest position it can get and that I can't lift the switch any higher from the stuck position.

but I'm running out of idea other than taking it apart to check the mechanism itself so this morning I did exactly what you proposed, just sanding down the metal rod the float operates on and clean it up as best as I can. We'll see how that goes...
      Last edited by Taker; 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

You're about to be told by most the members on here to get rid of the ridgid pump and put in a Zoeller. Just letting you know what's about to happen....

PS: I agree with them.
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

okay i'll be the second to say it...get rid of it...
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
            okay i'll be the second to say it...get rid of it...
            Third
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

why, better pump? better brand? known issues with Ridgid pumps?

I just did some search, and none of my local stores: Home Depo, Lowe's, Ace's, carries Zoeller products and that still doesn't explain what might cause my pump to suddenly acting up.

Comment

Originally posted by Taker View Post
                why, better pump? better brand? known issues with Ridgid pumps?

I just did some search, and none of my local stores: Home Depo, Lowe's, Ace's, carries Zoeller products and that still doesn't explain what might cause my pump to suddenly acting up.
                Its too bad but Ridgid pumps are just poorly made pumps and their just not worth the time or money to fix...do you have a non-big box store like a plumbing supplier where your at? Myers would be a good choice...
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Yea don't get on the ridgid pump merry go round, warranty pump, put in,stops again,warranty again, replace, etc etc. Ridgid makes great tools but this is one that is not like the rest. Do A search on Pumps here on the Ridgid forum all your questions have been asked before and the result is always the same.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

My father in law bought a Ridgid pump about 4 year ago, figuring it has a lifetime warranty so its a quality pump. It died 2 years ago and he replaced it with another for free. Last week that one wouldnt shut off and got another for free. The new ones come with a 3 year warranty, BTW.

My brother got a Ridgid pump also. It failed after 2 years and flooded his basement. He refused to throw in another Ridgid even if its free and I threw a Zoeller in there for him.

That's 3 pumps and they all fail within 2 years??

Comment

Working...
                    X