What Would You Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Would You Do?

He!! I can't remember the size. But you may even be able to thread the gas valve into it.

J.c.

Comment

Couple of minutes late. Couldn't leave it alone long could you TM. Oh well.....

J.C.

Comment

what if the tank valve and the gas shutoff valve would not shut off?? just kidding!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          Ok just got off the phone with him....looks like he is in a jam. The T&P valve is 1/2" and is not even in the heater but rather its screwed into a tee on the hot side outlet....all the outlet piping he says is 1/2". This is in an old farm house/country cabin.
          Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          After thinking about it for a minute I told him to cut the gas off at the water heater gas stop valve and also turn the propane tank off at the tank and disconnect the fitting at the tank. Then remove the water heaters gas control valve and screw it into the water stop valve thats leaking.

Thanks for the help guys.!!!!
          I was going to suggest if the water heater is piped in 1/2" pipe then the 1/2" T and P idea would work just fine. But I read your post carefully stating the outlet piping is 1/2" so I would assume then the inlet is 3/4" piping. So I was not going to say anything. But then you come up with a post about using the gas control valve and screw it into the water stop valve. So this would be a 1/2" gas control valve again meaning the inlet piping would be 1/2" so why not just leave the gas alone and use the T and P valve in the water shut off. I think its a real bad idea to have a home owner monkey with the gas piping.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychPlumber View Post
            I was going to suggest if the water heater is piped in 1/2" pipe then the 1/2" T and P idea would work just fine. But I read your post carefully stating the outlet piping is 1/2" so I would assume then the inlet is 3/4" piping. So I was not going to say anything. But then you come up with a post about using the gas control valve and screw it into the water stop valve. So this would be a 1/2" gas control valve again meaning the inlet piping would be 1/2" so why not just leave the gas alone and use the T and P valve in the water shut off. I think its a real bad idea to have a home owner monkey with the gas piping.
            It's all B.S.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychPlumber View Post
              No actually the water heater inlets are 3/4 and only the hot piping is 1/2" the cold piping is 3/4". He tried to get some of the piping apart before he even called me as the hot side had a 3/4 x 1/2 bushing in it that he was tring to salvage but had no success. he is getting older now and doesn't have much strenght. he used a 1/2 x 8" pipe nipple to put in the gas control and kicked it to get the control to unscrew. I also doubt its a T&P valve...its prolly just pressure. This guy is not a customer of mine...just a friend and he lives in a different state..but he is a homeowner. I understand your concern about the gas but he was the one who installed the gas to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                It's all B.S.

J.C.
                A man 200mi from anything, at a farm and all he has is a pocket full of tools.
                My wife carries more tools than that in her coat.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  A man 200mi from anything, at a farm and all he has is a pocket full of tools.
                  My wife carries more tools than that in her coat.
                  Its sunday and nothings open. He is really getting too old to handle the place. Boy I wish I had a wife that carried tools in her coat....I'd tell the world.

Comment

you could thread (may ruin the male end of the hose) the male end of a garden hose into the valve and put it out a window and let it leak, (I know the threads are not the same but they will thread on if you try a little with the dope it should hold for no pressure,
                    (if he has some electrial tape or duct tape he should be able to basicly make it leak free),

aparently he has a nipple, is there pipe cap? (does he have a welder), smash one of a a piece taken out and weld it shut).

a wood carved plug, wood broom handle, branch off a tree,

call the neighbor, even I have neighbors with in few miles, ( they may have a plug or a nipple and a cap) and even a wrench,

fill up some thing else for the horses, that will last them,

and for 200 miles from supplies, get some parts and tools on hand,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Don't know, too many details of course. But the most obvious thing is to try to connect the water heater cold "in" directly to the water heater hot "out", bypassing the leaking tank. If one of the pieces of flex reaches over to the other pipe, it's a 3 minute fix.

Edit - never mind, I missed the part about 3/4 inlet and 1/2 hot side piping. Still, wonder if he can scrounge enough stuff to make a bypass work. Who doesn't have a box of pipe fittings somewhere to rifle through?
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Ok the problem has been solved with the gas control being threaded into the water heaters leaking stop valve like I posted earlier.

All of the owners tools and belongings have been moved from the farm and they are in the process of selling the horses but for now they must stay at the farm. The owner is getting too old to take care of two homes.

Comment

THE END!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                            THE END!!!!!!
                            Of a long line of bullshite

Comment

Thanks for all the help and we worked through the problem.

For those who are upset they couldn't come up with a solution.....keep trying and pay attention if you cant pay your way. Have a blessed Sunday evening

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands
                                thank your family for paying yours
                                Your gonna hafta elaborate on that. Sure my family paid for me an education.....they love me and want the best for me always. Some are not so lucky and it makes them bitter. Bitter people have a hard time reaching success...its almost like they dont think they deserve it. Maybe they dont and its just fate that they struggle their entire life.

Comment

Working...
                                X