X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do?

Your 200 miles from the nearest store and you hafta plug the cold side 3/4" fip full port ball valve serving a typical 40 gal gas water heater. For some reason the valve is not holding and the water heater is leaking very bad and the cold water must be left on for automatic dispenser to water horses.......you have no material.....you have no torch......just a couple basic hand tools like a pipe wrench,pliers and a 4 in 1 screw driver and some pipe dope.

What should the guy do?????? The drain valve broke off while he was trying to drain it.

Re: What Would You Do?

tp in the valve

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      tp in the valve
      Thats smart thinking.....I will call him.

Comment

turn the main off. unscrew the relief valve from the water heater and thread it into the ball valve.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok just got off the phone with him....looks like he is in a jam. The T&P valve is 1/2" and is not even in the heater but rather its screwed into a tee on the hot side outlet....all the outlet piping he says is 1/2". This is in an old farm house/country cabin.

Comment

Whatever
            Another strange WTF.
            1/2" my azz

What are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Whatever
              Another strange WTF.
              1/2" my azz

What are you looking for?
              I'm not looking for anything.....he is looking for a way not to hafta drive 400 miles round trip for a plug and its sunday.....and he has to work tomorrow and cant leave his horses...unless he goes back in the middle of the week. I find 1/2 relief valves all the time on old heaters....so its not that uncommon and in the middle of the woods anything is possible...I'm suprised it has one at all actually.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a 1/2" T&P but even so, since its been leaking for awhile now most of the damage is done so make a parts run, screw the horses.

Well a little research and indeed Watts does make a 1xl T&P in 1/2" never seen one, never used one but they do make one.
                Last edited by NHMaster3015; 02-27-2011, 02:24 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

pull out anode rod , break it off and screw in valve!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                    pull out anode rod , break it off and screw in valve!!!!!
                    Can't do it. Pipe wrench, pliers, 4 in 1 screwdriver, and pipe dope.

P.S. Don't believe this is a real situation happening now.

J.C.

Comment

On very old water heaters they would come out of the hot side and put a 1/2" t and p....I've seen em before, very common here on old homes...sounds like the guy might need to bite the bullet and pay for a service call....
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

pull off top & use pipe wrench. if that wouldnt work ill bet i could mcgyver something! 3\4 drain plug out of a mower or tractor??????

Comment

I wanna know where he is that he's 200 miles from a store. Hell me and Gene live in Maine and nothing's that far away. If it was me, since I hate horses anyway, I would shoot the damn things and then I wouldn't give a crap if they were thirsty or not
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                            pull off top & use pipe wrench. if that wouldnt work ill bet i could mcgyver something! 3\4 drain plug out of a mower or tractor??????
                            All kinds of scenarios can play out looking at it. Might be able to shut the gas off and use a the drip leg or other parts.

Probably lots of things would present themselves if there.

J.C.

Comment

After thinking about it for a minute I told him to cut the gas off at the water heater gas stop valve and also turn the propane tank off at the tank and disconnect the fitting at the tank. Then remove the water heaters gas control valve and screw it into the water stop valve thats leaking.

Thanks for the help guys.!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X