Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing: Glue In Test Plug, and pre-existing pipes

Dear Plumbing experts,

I had a rough-plumbing inspection recently and the inspector did not accept that the waste-lines were filled with water to the roof line. He wrote on the inspection card that we needed to use "glue in" test caps. We had used the rubber caps which are attached via a hose-clamp. The house is a two story house and the test is being done on a new downstairs bathroom.
    Is this reasonable?

The other thing which I find annoying is that he seemed to want to inspect pre-existing plumbing related to the upstairs waste lines (which are visible) can he insist that I redo the pre-existing ABS piping? I believe the pre-existing ABS piping was put in by the previous owners. The house was built in the 1950's so I do not believe it is original. Is this reasonable?

Re: Plumbing: Glue In Test Plug, and pre-existing pipes

Here they will make you use glue caps...as far as pre-exsisting I can't tell you for sure but the inspectors will usually point things out...unless is a huge deal then they might get real fussy...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The inspector is the final authority. Since you are a homeowner they will always be more strict with your work. It is not at all unusual for the inspector to see the plumbing system as a whole depending on the scope of work you are undertaking and want it all done correctly. They are looking to make sure things are done correctly, and it is for you long term benefit to have it done correctly. If you really want a second opinion, pay a plumbing contractor to look at the system and give you an onsite opinion. At the end of the day though, the inspector has the final authority, and if you piss him off you may face even stricter inspection in the future.

Comment

Why Glue Caps? Thanks for the info, I thought for sure the guy was just yanking my chain. He was very unpleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Doelman View Post
          Why Glue Caps? Thanks for the info, I thought for sure the guy was just yanking my chain. He was very unpleasant.
          Here they do a drainage test with water then air...so glue caps are going to hold air....hell some places even then perform a smoke test....last thing you want to do is upset the delicate balance of the inspector...its just part of the system...sucks don't it...
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Have the inspector tell you where in the codebook he is getting his info on the fernco cap VS the glue in cap.

I can use fernco/rubber caps for testing. The inspectors here dont mind at all, because its not a problem.

I would also tell him thanks for the info about the pre-existing pipes but you are going to leave them the way they are.

can you post up some picts?

Comment

If the new piping ties into the existing piping the inspector has every authority to make you fix any code or installation issues with the existing plumbing. As far as glue caps go, I think that must be a personal preference and you may be able to fight it but it's probably not worth the trouble it will cause.
              sigpic

Comment

In my case there is new plumbing which all ties in downstream of the existing plumbing ( the new bathroom and laundry room are downstairs.)
                For this reason, I was hoping the new plumbing would not call for altering of the pre-existing up-stairs plumbing.

It seems to me that if the inspector considers this tying in to the existing plumbing then there is nothing you could do short of adding a new pipe into the septic tank that could qualify for "doesn't affect pre-existing plumbing."

I will likely just do whatever he asks short of redoing the pre-existing venting on the upstairs plumbing.. that would break my back.

Oh yah, I forgot that he informed me that I could not use the plumber's tape to contact the ABS pipe. It is required that the 10mil tape be used to prevent contact... Ouch. I didn't install ANY plumbers tape, all the work I did was in the new walls downstairs, or underground. Maybe the guy took offense to the fact that my wife was in attendance instead of me for the inspection (I have a full-time boss). I was taking some fridays off to work on this remodel project but I am now out of vacation time.
                Last edited by Jon Doelman; 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I think the inspector is being an azz.

ANY test cap is fine and has no effect on the test or the final product.

Also, remodels are done all the time where the remodel is isolated & tested separately from the original.

Think of the logic of this madness. If one were to follow this thinking, that means the hospital would have to be shutdown just because you remodeled plumbing in one area. Have to test it all.

I know what some are thinking, but NO, there can be no exceptions and you must be consistent in inspections. Right? No need in it.

There is no need to test the existing and the test caps are fine.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not looking at your project though.)

J.C.

Comment

It's his duty to inform you of which code you are not in compliance with. Personal preference shouldn't come into play.

Reschedule with a different inspector.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenPlumb View Post
                      Have the inspector tell you where in the codebook he is getting his info on the fernco cap VS the glue in cap.

I can use fernco/rubber caps for testing. The inspectors here dont mind at all, because its not a problem.

I would also tell him thanks for the info about the pre-existing pipes but you are going to leave them the way they are.

can you post up some picts?
                      You could go that route, but chances are you will be on his bad side after that and he's going to really get on you about every little detail.
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                      X