Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under sink pipe cap stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Under sink pipe cap stuck

    I know there must be a trade secret to breaking a 2" galv. pipe cap loose that covers a clean out, but I sure can't figure it out. It is close to the wall and under a bathroom sink so there is just not enough room to get leverage on an 18" wrench. Banging on the cap to loosen it hasn't worked either. I thought of heating it, but was afraid of setting my friends house on fire. It seems like there should be a wrench that would extend out enough to get some leverage, or maybe some kind of impact tool.??
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Stuck in albuquerque

  • #2
    Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

    I have heated them up very carefully..then used a 6 point socket...huge pain in the a**...if the sink is stopped up, then the trade secret is a K-40....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

    Derek

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

      Thanks for the quick reply, but wouldn't you still have to get the cap off to use the K-40? Maybe the secret would be to come down the vent stack?
      I can't help thinking that there is some kind of beefy wrench like a (monster basin wrench) that would allow someone to reach under there and get some leverage from a distance. Maybe I should invent it?
      anybody else got any ideas?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

        Originally posted by Abqfixer View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply, but wouldn't you still have to get the cap off to use the K-40? Maybe the secret would be to come down the vent stack?
        I can't help thinking that there is some kind of beefy wrench like a (monster basin wrench) that would allow someone to reach under there and get some leverage from a distance. Maybe I should invent it?
        anybody else got any ideas?
        Jump the trap with the cable or remove the trap the cable or access the vent...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

        Derek

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

          Pulling the trap and going in through there is probably the easiest way of doing things. Other that than, you just gotta put some muscle into it. I know what you mean about not having space to get any leverage, but there really isn't much you can do about that. No monster basin wrenches, sorry.
          Ideal Plumbing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

            Saw it almost in half and then use a hammer and chisel to break the old cap off. Cable the drain and then install a new cap with plenty of plumbers grease on all the threads.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

              Thanks for the idea. I was afraid that it might take something drastic like that. I'm thinking a fine abrasive blade on an angle grinder would be best and then use one of those close-quarter impact hammers as there is little room to swing a regular hammer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                So, if I were to develop a socket type head that would grip a pipe cap from the end with some kind of cam setup and allow the operator to use an impact driver, I wonder what the demand for it would be? I'd buy one.
                Thanks to all who replied with great tips.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                  I have ran in to a few so tight that I think if one could have keep grip on them you would litterly twist the pipes out of the wall, I have use impact on some and never got them to budge, (these were in cast iron),
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                    Sounds like you should just cut the plumbing out under the sink, install a y with a cleanout on the trap arm before it enters the wall to snake from, and repipe the sink accordingly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                      if you use a grinder use a cheap (or expensive if you wish, idk) diamond wheel. $10. bucks give or take. you will not have all the disk dust to clean up. breid..............

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                        Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                        No monster basin wrenches, sorry.
                        I have a Ridgid basin wrench that's intended for larger nuts.

                        Ridgid 31180 Specifications:
                        • 10"-17" Telescoping Basin Wrench - Model 1019
                        • Pipe Capacity 1-1/4" to 2-1/2"

                        It's all still held together with a small roll pin or something similar so you can't apply too much leverage.

                        Wonder if Rick has one?
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                          Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          I have a Ridgid basin wrench that's intended for larger nuts.

                          Ridgid 31180 Specifications:
                          • 10"-17" Telescoping Basin Wrench - Model 1019
                          • Pipe Capacity 1-1/4" to 2-1/2"

                          It's all still held together with a small roll pin or something similar so you can't apply too much leverage.

                          Wonder if Rick has one?
                          He probably has 4 or 5
                          Ideal Plumbing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                            jus a few. used them for difficult slip joint nuts on a tub waste and overflow.

                            i have sockets for cleanout plugs and a few mcmannis wrenches. ridgid use to make a 1/2'' drive pipe wrench. have that and a 3/4'' drive wrench.

                            but my all time monster wrench is a ridgid ratcheting 6' tank wrench with a 2'' square drive. this is the mother of all wrenches

                            rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Under sink pipe cap stuck

                              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              jus a few. used them for difficult slip joint nuts on a tub waste and overflow.

                              i have sockets for cleanout plugs and a few mcmannis wrenches. ridgid use to make a 1/2'' drive pipe wrench. have that and a 3/4'' drive wrench.

                              but my all time monster wrench is a ridgid ratcheting 6' tank wrench with a 2'' square drive. this is the mother of all wrenches

                              rick.
                              Ideal Plumbing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X