Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Reduction Valve & Flow Problem??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Reduction Valve & Flow Problem??

Hi guys,

Quick question: noticed last night that the drain valve on the hot water heating was leaking. It was one of the plastic valves and replacing with a metal version was easy enough. We measured the static pressure once the new valve was on to see if the pressure was the reason the plastic valve cracked. Sure enough, the pressure needle buried on the wrong side of 100psi (the gauge's limit).

Naturally, this led to a replacement of the pressure reduction valve. Now we're good to go, except that almost no matter where the new PR Valve is set, we're getting a huge drop in water pressure after the faucets have been opened more than 15 seconds or so. Once a faucet is turned off, the water continues to flow past the PR Valve, in essence "recharging" the static pressure. The "limit" on the static pressure achieved after turning off the faucet does seem to change with the setting of the new valve.

Any ideas how I could possibly go from getting 100+ psi on the old valve to getting almost none on the new valve, while simultaneously getting a static pressure "recharge" after the faucets are turned off?? I'm a real amateur and this has me stumped.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Pressure Reduction Valve & Flow Problem??

Originally posted by RyanKS View Post
    Hi guys,

Quick question: noticed last night that the drain valve on the hot water heating was leaking. It was one of the plastic valves and replacing with a metal version was easy enough. We measured the static pressure once the new valve was on to see if the pressure was the reason the plastic valve cracked. Sure enough, the pressure needle buried on the wrong side of 100psi (the gauge's limit).

Naturally, this led to a replacement of the pressure reduction valve. Now we're good to go, except that almost no matter where the new PR Valve is set, we're getting a huge drop in water pressure after the faucets have been opened more than 15 seconds or so. Once a faucet is turned off, the water continues to flow past the PR Valve, in essence "recharging" the static pressure. The "limit" on the static pressure achieved after turning off the faucet does seem to change with the setting of the new valve.

Any ideas how I could possibly go from getting 100+ psi on the old valve to getting almost none on the new valve, while simultaneously getting a static pressure "recharge" after the faucets are turned off?? I'm a real amateur and this has me stumped.

Thanks in advance...
    Seems you have a volume delivery problem. Have all the stop valves fully open? What type valve did you turn off in order to replace the prv? It could be trash in the prv inlet.

Comment

Re: Pressure Reduction Valve & Flow Problem??

Sounds reasonable that there might be dirt that broke loose and lodged in the PRV or that it's in backwards.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
      X