X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting sink in alcove under low ceiling

I am in the process of fixing up a Cape Cod house in which some of the second floor ceiling is sloped. I want to put a bathroom on the second floor, and there is a dormer with full height ceiling where it can go. Due to requirements for placement of the soil stack through an existing 1st floor pantry, and general layout of the second floor, I would have to place the sink in an alcove in the wall. Just the sink and vanity cabinet would have to be placed here. In front of the sink is inside the dormer, and would have a full-height ceiling. The alcove I plan would be 30 inches wide, with a low ceiling height of about 50 inches on the left, and full ceiling height on the right. I plan to put the sink to the right side of the vanity to permit the maximum ceiling height directly over the sink.

Has anyone any comments on this location for the sink? I could simplify the design, building a half bath, and have plenty of head room over the sink, but since the house only has one bathroom, I would prefer to have install a full bath. I could also enlarge the dormer, but this would be very expensive.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Putting sink in alcove under low ceiling

Can you do a diagram or photos?

You have considered head clearances for standing at the sink.
    Will the toilet havenough clearance that one will not hitheir head when maneuvering to sit?

(In China I saw a toilet where one had to bend down and back in!
    Once seated there was plenty of room.
    [Perhaps it was fine for Chinese who averaged under 5' 6". I'm 5' 12"])
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

5' 12". would that per chance be 6'? breid...............

Comment

HA! game point..set...match...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thanks for the reply --

Here is a floor plan and elevation of the vanity cabinet. The entire area where the tub, toilet and in front of the vanity, as well as the hallway and top of stairs are full ceiling height. As I tried to explaine earlier, only the area above the vanity would have reduced height, and since the area is taken up by the vanity, nobody could stand there.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brookline1027 View Post
            Thanks for the reply --

Here is a floor plan and elevation of the vanity cabinet. The entire area where the tub, toilet and in front of the vanity, as well as the hallway and top of stairs are full ceiling height. As I tried to explaine earlier, only the area above the vanity would have reduced height, and since the area is taken up by the vanity, nobody could stand there.

Clever design. I don't recall (offhand) any corner toilets that had highly rated flushing efficiency based on map testing.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Did not know there was such a thing as a corner toilet!
              How much does one cost compared to the same regular toilet?
              Bowl the same as usual? Tank the only difference?
              Thank you.

In China, I don't recall seeing a two-piece toilet. All apartments I visited had one-piece toilets, some with dual-flush.
              In the few public toilets, called "WC", they had flushable troughs in the floor - some with American Standard label!
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-03-2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                5' 12". would that per chance be 6'? breid...........
                Now, I am 4' 23". Lost an inch due to age and gravity.
                Still, bossays: "I didn't know they stacked s**that high."
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-03-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Corner toilets are made by many of the "big boys" in the toilet business. This includes American Standard, Toto, Kohler, and in this case Eljer. I have seen them a few times before, but they are generally stocked only at the largest plumbing supply houses. In the case of the Eljer, I think the base is the same -- only the tank is different. Cost -- $165 and up. What I like is that by jaming the toilet in the corner, you still get plenty of "foot" room in front of it, and their is also lots of room on each side. This is an elongated toilet, but they are available if round front too, which gives you a couple more inches of space.

I myself am 6' - 6" (Six feet minus 6 inches). I actually had a contractor who read dimensions this way! Things wound up pretty strange when he built them. Of course he prefered to do things the "professional" way. Take a can of spray paint and draw what you wanted where you wanted and he would work out the details.

Comment

Excellent idea using a corner toilet!
                    I like the idea of a corner toilet. Sorry that a plumber to whom I mentioned the idea did notell me thathey exist.
                    Had I known, I may have designed a powderoom differently.

I also like corner fireplaces and I cut our large cuckoo clock roof so that it fits in a corner. Excellent location for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X