Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend's 11-year-old AOSmith water heater does not come on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friend's 11-year-old AOSmith water heater does not come on.

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
    Really good clip. However that really depends on the quality of the water you have. I have seen tons of tanks not needing replacement till 20 years, then moved where i am now and they were lucky to last 10 years. The difference was the municipal h2o treatment. And I believe that if you read manufacturers literature , they all want you to flush your tank on a yearly basis. Guaranteed that tank in the clip did not get that kind of service.

That's true, not all water heaters get subjected to that buildup. I've personally removed electric water heaters in my area all the way back to 1978,

little or no sediment and the longtime residents stating they never drained the tank.

However,

The only time this factual information comes out on a water heater is when the heater is removed and a plumber took the time to inspect, open up the tank or peer through a hole in the tank, whether it's a T&P opening, hot opening or element/boiler drain opening. Even then, it's limited.

Many heaters I've pulled over the years that were loaded with something more than just water, but I never inspected to know otherwise.

But as PC mentioned, once elements, probe for the thermostat start to get covered, the efficiency is dropping tremendously on that heater and that comes by the design of fuel consumption whether it be electric/natural gas/propane.

But everyone loves that marathon run of how long they can get out of their aging water heater, no matter the inefficiency it brings.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      NO it was not under warranty......Do you have any idea why???? I do! The heater is 3 years old.
      Did they break something? Other than that I've no idea.

How about it was replaced once under warrenty say at year 5 of a six year warrenty but the warrenty on the new water heater is only 1 more year. so as far as a.o cares the w/h is 8 years old,

By george I got it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
        ... plumber took the time to inspect, open up the tank or peer through a hole in the tank, whether it's a T&P opening, hot opening or element/boiler drain opening. Even then, it's limited....
        Would a see snake fit in through the anode opening? Can it be cleaned well enough?
        I would love to seewhat is happening in this AOSmitheater.
        With Aurora's water, there is probably very little sediment or scale.
        Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

UPDATE: Temperature controller now seems OK.

Still, I told her to start saving for a newater heater.

I want to get a gas valve and take it apart to see how it works.
          Did my "exercising" the valve by turning the dial all the way up and down many times actually do anything?
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            NO it was not under warranty......Do you have any idea why???? I do! The heater is 3 years old.
            Master, Most all water heaters have a minimum 6 yr. parts and tank warranty. The $50 must have been the next day air shipping charges.

Comment

I just replaced my water heater, the old one was put in January 82, (29+ years)and the tank started to leak/seep, a few days ago, when I got it out side, and took a flash light I could see two thirds of the bottom of the tank, (build up a little on the opposite of the cold dip tube, guessing about 1" deep) but I have to admit I was surprised on the lack of sediment in the tank, and were on well water and it is not that soft the tea kettle on the wood stove looks more like a science experiment than a tea kettle with all the mineral build up on the spout and around the lid. the anode I replaced a few months ago, but there was still anode on the old unit, it was bad but still some left.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X