Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend's 11-year-old AOSmith water heater does not come on.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend's 11-year-old AOSmith water heater does not come on.

Her hot water became cooler as she was using it.
    I expected pilot to be out but it is burning fine.

Thermostat (temperature controller) did not turn on the burner until I manually turned the dial up.

Dial was alwayset below [A] to save gas.
    I turn dial counterclockwise up past [B] and [C] encountering some resistance after [C] and then burner snaps on.
    Burning cleanly and evenly.
    Many times I rotate dial to both extremes to "exercise" it. Threshold resistance remains consistant. (Maybe th.is normal resistance before burner snaps on.)

Are there other things I should attempt?

Rather than buy and install a new temperature control, which I assume would bexpen$ive, at 11 yearshould she spend that money towards a new water heater?

I regularly flush her water heater.
    Have never emptied it. Is that ever necessary?

Thank you.

House built in 2000
    Model FSG 50 242
    With high altitude orifice = 31
    FOON11OK32
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

You should be draining that heater

And at 11 years old, it probably looks like the inside of this water heater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWDyaQGDiY

At 11 years I don't offer to repair water heaters for the benefit of the customers since they are spending hard earned money with me for a resolution.

By the time I go through the effort of starting to replace components, the same amount of money is spent in replacement, in which replacement offers a warranty.

The opposite design does not.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Friend's 11-year-old AOSmith water heater does not come on.

I repaired a 3 yr old ao smith today. Cleaned the burner compartment/flame arrestor nd installed the new burner assembly the homeowner ordered from ao smith and had at the home waiting. My service was 150 and the part cost her 50 delivered. So for 200.00 she has hot water vs 850 for replacement.....she had 200.00 but not 850.......cold showers suck. Have a great night.

Comment

Re: You should be draining that heater

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
        And at 11 years old, it probably looks like the inside of this water heater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWDyaQGDiY

At 11 years I don't offer to repair water heaters for the benefit of the customers since they are spending hard earned money with me for a resolution.

By the time I go through the effort of starting to replace components, the same amount of money is spent in replacement, in which replacement offers a warranty.

The opposite design does not.
        Dunbars right...due to lack of water quality after 10 years repairing the water heater is on its last leg...I will give one repair but advise its time to start saving for replacement...and then of course water softener is a must....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Really good clip. However that really depends on the quality of the water you have. I have seen tons of tanks not needing replacement till 20 years, then moved where i am now and they were lucky to last 10 years. The difference was the municipal h2o treatment. And I believe that if you read manufacturers literature , they all want you to flush your tank on a yearly basis. Guaranteed that tank in the clip did not get that kind of service.

Comment

Water heaters last a long time in Aurora, Colorado.

Thank you.

The problem here seems to be thathermostat does not turn on the burner thoughot water has been drawn and incoming water has dropped the tank water temperature.
            (I showed her how to manually get the burner to come on until she can afford to do something.)

Mother's water heater lasted from 1976 to 2003 when a tiny spritz started. (When she boughthe house in 1994, I flushed it about every 2 months by fully opening the hose bib - if you call that flushing.)

What does a temperature controller cost for this AOSmith?

The exterior is clean and burner compartment clean.
            Looks new but she has owned the house since 2007. Previous ownersaid nothing about having replaced it.

If I turn off her water and remove the anode, will that tell me anything?
            But I am not a plumber, so I'd have to report findings to you.

Since she is the only occupant, is it better to replace it with a 40-gallon tank which is used harder?

On my advice to save gas, she has kepthe temperature below [A] and adds little cold water to take a shower. (She uses the dishwasher heat water feature.)

Thank you.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              I repaired a 3 yr old ao smith today. Cleaned the burner compartment/flame arrestor nd installed the new burner assembly the homeowner ordered from ao smith and had at the home waiting. My service was 150 and the part cost her 50 delivered. So for 200.00 she has hot water vs 850 for replacement.....she had 200.00 but not 850.......cold showers suck. Have a great night.
              Hey Master. shouldn't the job have been 150.00? The parts should have been free under warranty. Unless the $50.00 bucks was for next day air.

Comment

I'll repair a water heater as many times as i'm asked too. With the caution every single time that they're spending money on a heater with a limited lifespan.

Robert, you can get a gas valve at lowes for about $65 "at least here" It's the same POS that comes on whirlpool NG water heaters, but for an 11 year old heater it probably fits the bill.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

It's probably working properly

As the temperature probes age, they tend to scale up so it takes more extreme temps for cut-in and cut-out. Longer before the burner turns on and longer for them to turn off.

Leave it set at B and see how it acts.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    Hey Master. shouldn't the job have been 150.00? The parts should have been free under warranty. Unless the $50.00 bucks was for next day air.
                    NO it was not under warranty......Do you have any idea why???? I do! The heater is 3 years old.

Comment

I agree with what the video clip says in area's with untreated water.

Comment

IMO you shouldn't be working on anyones water heater but your own. If anything bad happens you will be held responsible and you dont have insurance. You could loose everything you have ever worked for...now and in the future. Think about that before you break your tools out.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                          ... gas valve at lowes for about $65 "at least here" It's the same POS that comes on whirlpool NG water heaters, but for an 11 year old heater it probably fits the bill.
                          Called and Lowe's has one!

Can I remove thexisting temperature controller and scrape off the scale?

Knowhat size plug to screw in the opening to stop water from coming out?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            IMO you shouldn't be working on anyones water heater but your own. If anything bad happens you will be held responsible and you dont have insurance. You could loose everything you have ever worked for...now and in the future. Think about that before you break your tools out.
                            Understood.
                            She has no money and I am doing this for free.
                            I told her that she may have to wait until she can savenough to buy a newater heater.
                            At least she knows how to turn it on manually if necessary.
                            Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                              Understood.
                              She has no money and I am doing this for free.
                              I told her that she may have to wait until she can savenough to get a newater heater.
                              At least she knows how to turn it manually if necessary.
                              I understand your helping a lady but just keep in mind that if anything happened her family would sue the pants off ya. The very people who will not help her. CYA

Sounds like it needs a new control or if your really on a budget remove the control and clean the heater out and remove the build up thats probably on the thermostat probe. Be advised tho if the heater is drained and cleaned it may leak right away or have rusty water fo-ever. Goodluck.

Comment

Working...
                              X