Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloan diaphragm without equalizing hole?

Today I replaced a urinal which employs a Sloan Royal flushometer valve. The old urinal was 16 years old, I assume the flush valve was original. I reinstalled the old flushometer valve.

I flushed the urinal several times before I swapped the urinal to make sure the drain was operating, the valve worked, and to try and have the water in the trap be as clean as I can manage before emptying the trap. The valve operated perfectly. After replacing the urinal the valve worked fine the first flush. After that flush however it wouldn't shut off. After several minutes of trying different flow rates and opening and closing the stop I gave up and removed the diaphragm. To my surprise there was no equalizing hole like I am used to seeing!

I installed a Sloan urinal diaphragm from my truck which had the equalizing hole as per normal.

A diaphragm without a balancing hole is absolutely new to me, and I don't see a way for the flushometer to equalize and shutoff but clearly it was functioning so there must be a way! I'm curious.

Someone want to take me to school?
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Sloan diaphragm without equalizing hole?

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    Today I replaced a urinal which employs a Sloan Royal flushometer valve. The old urinal was 16 years old, I assume the flush valve was original. I reinstalled the old flushometer valve.

I flushed the urinal several times before I swapped the urinal to make sure the drain was operating, the valve worked, and to try and have the water in the trap be as clean as I can manage before emptying the trap. The valve operated perfectly. After replacing the urinal the valve worked fine the first flush. After that flush however it wouldn't shut off. After several minutes of trying different flow rates and opening and closing the stop I gave up and removed the diaphragm. To my surprise there was no equalizing hole like I am used to seeing!

I installed a Sloan urinal diaphragm from my truck which had the equalizing hole as per normal.

A diaphragm without a balancing hole is absolutely new to me, and I don't see a way for the flushometer to equalize and shutoff but clearly it was functioning so there must be a way! I'm curious.

Someone want to take me to school?
    Sure thats a dual fitered diaphram. The water equalizes by flowing between the outer plastic ring and the rubber diaphram. Theres another plastic rin on the bottom....the bottom one has lil teeth on it.

Theres a hole in the upper plastic ring.......
    Last edited by TheMaster; 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

The pic of the bottom on yours...it looks worn out. Needed replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Sure thats a dual fitered diaphram. The water equalizes by flowing between the outer plastic ring and the rubber diaphram. Theres another plastic rin on the bottom....the bottom one has lil teeth on it.

Theres a hole in the upper plastic ring.......
        That actually make sense...seen them and just chuck the old one and slam in a new one...never paid attention about the hole...thanks that was very informative!!!
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Are those kohler widespread valvets in the background of the pic?

ADD> I bought a couple deep sockets today to remove Kohler trend tub/shower stems. You know the ones with the copper cap gasket....those mofos are installed at the factory with an impact wrench. Kohler sucks. That trend valve has two possible diverters depending on when it was made....and they require two different sockets....
          Last edited by TheMaster; 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Are those kohler widespread valvets in the background of the pic?

ADD> I bought a couple deep sockets today to remove Kohler trend tub/shower stems. You know the ones with the copper cap gasket....those mofos are installed at the factory with an impact wrench. Kohler sucks. That trend valve has two possible diverters depending on when it was made....and they require two different sockets....
            They're Kohler Tritons. I installed many of them back in the day. I don't care much for Kohler, and care even less for their technical artists. I swear they go out of their way to leave out the most important dimensions.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X