X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framers nightmare.

I am buying a home right now and last weekend I did my home inspection on it. While under the home checking everything out I noticed that a 2" DWS line disappeared into a main beam. After moving the insulation aside I discovered that the plumber when he was doing the rough in drilled through a 4"x8" beam leaving about 1/4" to 1/2"of wood on each side. This beam supports a hall wall for two stories. As I expected the beam is cracked and will be repaired with new supports. (See pictures) Sometimes I think the framing should be inspected after the electricians and plumbers do their rough in.
    Attached Files
    Charles

Re: Framers nightmare.

In New York, many of the inspectors won't pass framing until the HVAC and plumbing are done - because we are notoriously tough on framing and in some counties, the same inspector is responsible for both framing and plumbing inspections.

You said in the post you were under the house? What are we talking crawl space? I have seen plenty of things on a job site, but I've never seen an inspector crawl under anything...

Comment

As an apprentice, I worked for a company that did a massive amount of new housing. Still shake my head at the memory of some journeymen whose favorite rough-in tool was a chain saw!!

Comment

Same here for inspector...usually same guy..and they will crawl under house...I think what you have is called a RED FLAG...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

In MN framing inspection is the last inspection before insulation. All electrical and mechanical must be roughed in and inspected before they will inspect framing.

Comment

The problem isn't the inspections, it's the idiot plumbers who cut these holes.

Comment

Or the idiot framers who don't take us into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                Beam is on the plans,same set the plumber is provided with when he bids the jobs.Many plumbing contractors can't even rough in a house until a framer who can read the plans builds it.Pipes up in the wrong wall against the joist.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Beam is on the plans,same set the plumber is provided with when he bids the jobs.Many plumbing contractors can't even rough in a house until a framer who can read the plans builds it.Pipes up in the wrong wall against the joist.
                  Toilets are also on those same plans, and it sucks when a joist is dead center of where the toilet flange is supposed to be. Most carpenters don't know how to make a faucet pocket for tubs and showers, because it wasn't on the plan. Not sure about others here, but I don't drill across 2x4's on new construction...I have the stud moved.

However, a good carpenter being told once about it, he will never let it happen again. The only 2 carpenters we work with, know our moves and what we like, so it's never a problem for us anymore.

Comment

Wow. How many new homes have you worked on?

Comment

I was not mad at all, just happy to find it. Not the first time I have come across a butcher job by a homeowner, plumber, electrician. Thought you all would enjoy the picture. When I get a chance I will post a picture of the branch circuit under the sink laying on the metal water line that shorted out and blew the breaker when I moved it off the line. I can just think of the little tingle you would get with a wet hand grabbing the metal faucet.
                      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by NW Diver View Post
                        ... I will post a picture of the branch circuit under the sink laying on the metal water line that shorted out and blew the breaker when I moved it off the line....
                        Not in Romex?
                        Conductors becamexposed by rodents?

Excellent job of drilling but sad to see the structure so badly weakened by that 8-inch vertical hole.
                        Cannot be strengthened withat copper pipe going throughorizontally.
                        Will have to cuthat pipe and put ithrough the new 4x8s.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

The branch circuit was romex but in a metal box that had been surfaced screwed into sheet rock with one screw. I figure the weight of metal box or dishwasher vibration caused the screw to pull out and the pipe caught the metal box. When I reached in to move it off the pipe the screw hit the hot leg and woke me right up.
                          Charles

Comment

Originally posted by NW Diver View Post
                            ...When I reached in to move it off the pipe the screw hit the hot leg and woke me right up.
                            Oh. Funny.

On my garage workbench I was working with a piece of wire which managed to stick itself into the hot slot of a receptacle.
                            Got a nice tingle because I was not well grounded. (Before GFCIs)

Had I TRIED to inserthe wire into that outlet, I would have been unsuccessful.

Puzzle: Why have I changed all outlets to have the ground on top?
                            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Consider Oregon is UPC which means that vent could have been anywhere within 6'. There was no reason in the world to run it through the beam.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X