X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stole the copper!

Am about to buy a house that was in foreclosure and for the 2nd known time.......some A-hole stole all the copper in the basement. From what I saw, it was BRAND new and probably not even pressure tested yet.
    Now really, ball park for me the value (chicago land) that this shmoe is gonna make these days. I know it's not worth what it was.
    And also, any clue an approximate cost to replace 1300 sq ft un finished basement 1" main with 3/4" copper throughout. 2 and a 1/2 bath
    Totally just curious cause the bank will be forced to do this......just dunno the depth of what they'll be in it for.
    So frustrated now but without testing the plumbing, there is no way I'll "deal"
    since I'll have know way the drains are even ok. Vacant for a couple years now and winterized.
    Thanks guys,
    RJ

Re: Stole the copper!

Those thieves oughto be shot.
    Cause $1,000s of loss for less than a hundred $ in scrap.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Before the Pexmaster get here I'll say it for him.....If it would had been plumbed in Pex it would still be there!! Ha Ha Ha
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Re-plumb it with pex and out a sign in the window no copper plumbing in this house they already stole it. English and Spanish to cover the equal opportunity thieves.
        WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
        ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

read some where some one painting the copper pipe Grey so it would look like galvanized and the thieves left it alone,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know some scrap yards in the north west suburbs that pay $3.00 a pound for clean copper and about $2.80 for dirty copper ( painted soldered) I to have had some jobs with copper removed.
            On Pex, some counties or certain inspectors wont let you use the pex.

Comment

Around here some bums were getting messed up by ripping live copper wires out of street lamps. Just thinning the herd.

Comment

same out here.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Back in the mid 90's when we were doing new construction, I always use to leave a 3/4" peace of "L" copper hanging for my eventual water service hook-up.

Well, for awhile there, this Mexican drywaller was going around ripping it off and scrapping the copper. The kicker is...the day before he was caught, I let him borrow my tin snips, and he never gave them back! lol

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
                    Around here some bums were getting messed up by ripping live copper wires out of street lamps. Just thinning the herd.
                    Natural selection I guess
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

A lot of the landlords that I know that have properties in the hood, smear roofing tar on all exposed copper. The thieves seem to leave it alone as it doesn't pay as well as clean copper.

Comment

$3.30 a pound for #1 clean last week in the burbs,l bet they got close to a grand for it,2 5 gal. buckets I had net me $180.We've tried painting it and it did'nt seem to stop them,guys on the north side of the city where we are doing remodels even take rotted C.I. and galv. in a heartbeat,saves me from having to haul it out but I never let them see any copper on the job.
                        Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

3.84 pound here in phoenix rpz been missing like crazy dont know where they take them when i go i need tax id number,id ,truck description and finger print

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
                            $3.30 a pound for #1 clean last week in the burbs,l bet they got close to a grand for it,2 5 gal. buckets I had net me $180.We've tried painting it and it did'nt seem to stop them,guys on the north side of the city where we are doing remodels even take rotted C.I. and galv. in a heartbeat,saves me from having to haul it out but I never let them see any copper on the job.
                            Bastards

Comment

Working...
                            X