Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I replace my air gap with an air gap faucet?

I'm looking at buying a water filter faucet that goes on top of your sink like this: http://amzn.com/B000NNPVUS

The problem is, I have a garbage disposal and a dishwasher connected to an air gap hole right now. I can't cut out another hole for the water faucet and I'd like to put it in that hole. I've seen that there are air gap faucets, but it seems those are for reverse osmosis systems which I'm not getting.

So, is it possible to replace an air gap with an air gap faucet? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Can I replace my air gap with an air gap faucet?

an air gap for a dishwasher is typically 5/8'' in and 7/8'' out.

some codes and some high end dishwashers allow for a high loop under the sink.

the culligan will not work for a dishwasher.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Assuming my code allows for a high loop, would you recommend it? Any danger in this?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to look for other water filter solutions, but filtered water straight from my running water is so attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by ironj221 View Post
        Assuming my code allows for a high loop, would you recommend it? Any danger in this?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to look for other water filter solutions, but filtered water straight from my running water is so attractive.
        Your Code does not allow a high loop. You are under the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

C.an air gap be placed somewherelse?
          Can it NOT be installed as high as possible inside the sink base cabinet?
          Must it be above the sink overflow level?
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            Can air gap be placed some where else?

Can it NOT be installed as high as possible inside the sink base cabinet?
            No it cannot under the UPC

Must it be above the sink overflow level?
            Yes it needs to be 1" above the overflow level of the sink.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              No it cannot under the UPC

Yes it needs to be 1" above the overflow level of the sink.

Mark
              Mark what happens if it is not 1" above but it is at the top of the sink

you know i dont do plumbing now but when i did it 20yrs ago we got it up as high as we could
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

There's almost always room to make another hole. Can you post a picture? I'm just having trouble visualizing a kitchen sink with no space for an extra hole.
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  There's almost always room to make another hole. Can you post a picture? I'm just having trouble visualizing a kitchen sink with no space for an extra hole.
                  There is extra space, but it's a condo that I'm renting not to mention granite counter-tops which I wouldn't have the tools to cut.

I think that I may have found a solution:
                  http://www.aquahealthsystems.com/WaterGapFaucet.html

Looks like it'll work, but it doesn't say anything about the inlet/outlet size or have a picture.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like they no longer sell them!
                  Last edited by ironj221; 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I would just loop the hose and forget about it..
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Air gaps on frequent occasions will spill water. You don't want that under the counter.

Comment

Again, eliminate the air gap fitting and loop the hose up high under the kitchen counter and back down to the disposal and forget about it already

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          I would just loop the hose and forget about it..
                          Already done.

Works great.

Comment

Good deal..

Comment

I've seen hundreds of installations w/o even a gesture at an air gap or a high loop; just run on the bottom of the cabinet and then plugged straight into the disposer.

I've seen some dishwashers where the discharge is routed from the factory up and over in a high loop on the upper corner of the machine.

As I understand it, the air gap/high loop requirement is a safety precaution to prevent bacteria from travelling to the dw from the drain system, similar to the requirement in commercial kitchens that food prep sink drains have an air gap...correct?

Speaking of commercial kitchens, I commonly see commercial kitchens where the prep sink discharge is into a floor sink, but has been run down an inch or two beow the rim of the floor sink, presumably to prevent splash getting on the floor... this is a violation, correct? The line must terminate above the flood level of the floor sink, no?

A disposer connection, despite being an air gap in normal use, does not satisfy the requirement in and of itself because the connection is not above the flood level of the fixture (the sink)... correct?

How high must a high loop be? If it is only at the bottom of the countertop, it is not above the flood level of the sink.

If a high loop is allowed in your area, does the canned dw discharge routing around the upper edge of the dw I've seen on some constitute a high loop?

I've seen many installations where the dw discharge is run to a second trap under the sink. Typically these are run up high upsteam of the trap, then the discharge is dropped into them via a bit of copper in a 180 hooked over the top of the vertical upstream of the trap. To my mind, this is not technically an air gap as, again, the discharge is not above the flood level of the drain... correct?

I've seen many instances where a kichen sink backup/clog has filled the bottom of the dishwasher. What would be proper precations to take in that circumstance to pevent it from happening at the next clog, and to clean the dw and its discharge for safety?
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X