No announcement yet.

Plumbing a Hot Water Heater Backward?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing a Hot Water Heater Backward?

Get a couple of flexi water heater supplies and be done with it. It won't be the best looking thing in the world but it will work fine.
    sigpic

Comment

Electrician grounded to basically all the pipes in the house. cold hot and gas.

As far as propress.. its great, but I like sweating fittings on. I hardly ever get to do em so I dont mind the extra time.

So whats the vote. Swap the dip tube or reroute the lines?

Is it totally hillbilly to route all the way around? I guess I could turn the tank as much as practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Electrician grounded to basically all the pipes in the house. cold hot and gas.

As far as propress.. its great, but I like sweating fittings on. I hardly ever get to do em so I dont mind the extra time.

So whats the vote. Swap the dip tube or reroute the lines?

Is it totally hillbilly to route all the way around? I guess I could turn the tank as much as practical.
        Look who's getting an early start on his saturday to-do list.

re-route horizontals

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Look who's getting an early start on his saturday to-do list.

re-route horizontals
          I agree re-route the pipes, you are not trying to win a beauty contest.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            ... Is it ok to plumb it reversed? Josh
            I'm not a plumber.
            The dip tube, I recall, directs incoming cool water against the temperature control valve "probe", so the burner will come on sooner when drawing hot water.
            (For example, if you are taking a shower you want to get the burner on sooner to get more hot water made.)

The manufacturer has engineered the IDEAL arrangement for both efficiency and performance.
            Defeating their design will degradefficiency and performance.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-12-2011, 09:53 AM.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Nah, it just directs the incoming to the bottom of the tank
              sigpic

Comment

lots of commercial heaters have side inlets and outlets. nice when you're connecting multiple units together. cold is at the lower side and hot is at the upper side connection. no dip tubes.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Shorter diptubes help prevent thermal stacking. Typical tank type water heaters are not precise pieces of equipment. So smart

Comment

So here's the fix. Not pretty but I do have hot water again and didnt have to face the hot water heater at the chimney. Hope this doesnt end up on a hack thread

Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with that Josh. doesn't even look that bad
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh my, the hot water flex is 1/32 of an inch out of plumb coming out of the tank--it will make the hack list, for sure!

Comment

When swapping the dip tube does the color coded (red/blue) plastic stay attached to the nipple or the tank?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible the dip tube was swapped during the original install?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

There...Done...Whammo Bammo !!! See ya' ..On to the next
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It looks kinda bad. I bet it will leak at the connections to the tank nipples in a short while. Keep an eye on it. Vent wouldn't pass here either unless that chimney is lined.

Comment

Probably a furnace on that chimney too.So the venting should't be an issue ..Looks like 4" flue pipe also..
                                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X