Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing a Hot Water Heater Backward?

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Probably a furnace on that chimney too.So the venting should't be an issue ..Looks like 4" flue pipe also..
    What would a furnace have to do with it other than it being even worse? What would 4" do for it that 3" wouldn't other than draft better with 3"

Comment

Masonry chimneys are commonly used to vent a water heater and a furnace . If you are only looking at a water heater being vented into a masonry chimney I could see why you would think there is a violation. Being that the masonry chimney is oversized for just a water heater.. Thats all ..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Masonry chimneys are commonly used to vent a water heater and a furnace . If you are only looking at a water heater being vented into a masonry chimney I could see why you would think there is a violation. Being that the masonry chimney is oversized for just a water heater.. Thats all ..
        What good is the furnace being vented into the chimney in July?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          What good is the furnace being vented into the chimney in July?
          None .why ? What are the dimensions of the masonry chimney? What equipment is being vented into it?

Comment

None .why ?
            So in the summer months the water heater is the only appliance vented into the chimney. Now isn't the chimney a tad bit oversized? You just posted that the water heater alone vented into the chimney would be oversized.

Comment

josh, looks like a home depot fix

looks like our heaters from the land of shaking

not bad for a camera designer

please don't quit your day job

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hope that chimney has a stainless steel liner. If not, the condensation will ruin the chimney over time with the freeze-thaw cycle. If the water tank is the only appliance on that chimney, the gas company here in Toronto will FORCE you to put a liner in to downsize the flue to 4" all the way up the chimney to create enough draw. The huge old chimney will not draw enough from the small water tank in the dead of winter -potential CO concern in your basement (incidentally, further destroying the chimney).

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  So in the summer months the water heater is the only appliance vented into the chimney. Now isn't the chimney a tad bit oversized? You just posted that the water heater alone vented into the chimney would be oversized.

We are only required to reline a masonry chimney when there are 2 appliances venting in to the chimney and one is removed / orphaned thus creating too large of an area for one appliance to sufficiently vent by itself ..The 7 x rule ..Ican't see if anything else is venting into that chimney ...

Comment

Nat Fuel Gas code will not allow gas appliances to be vented into unlined chimneys. A masonary liner will pass. We install a lot of SS liners since the new code.
                    sigpic

Comment

Furnace and Hot water heater are venting into the chimney. However The chimney is starting to suffer a bit from freeze thaw cycles.

I need to get my chimney relined.

Josh

Comment

Probably a good idea..

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          So here's the fix. Not pretty but I do have hot water again and didnt have to face the hot water heater at the chimney. Hope this doesnt end up on a hack thread

What happened to wanting to solder?

Here in St. Paul or Minneapolis a plumbing inspector would require removal of this type flexible connector. Actually, they require removal of any type of flexible connector to a water heater.

I can understand why Japan and California would allow flexible connections, along with strapping water heaters to a structural member, but in Minnesota or Ohio I don't think earthquakes are a major problem.

If you're OK with the installation that's what matters.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Furnace and Hot water heater are venting into the chimney. However The chimney is starting to suffer a bit from freeze thaw cycles.

I need to get my chimney relined.

Josh

Josh, you have a conventional furnace...right? Not a direct vent into the chimney

Comment

Working...
                            X