X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing a Hot Water Heater Backward?

Haven't had any kind of leak in my house for a long long time but got to spend my evening driving back and forth for parts.

HWH was plumbed in using that flexible shielded tubing (sorry dont know what its called) Anyways the hot water side sprung a leak after 5 years. So I planned on taking the easy way out and buying another of the same and replacing it. The ones they have at HD are junk now. So figured I would do it proper.

De-soldered my junky old gate valve and replaced it with a gate valve. Now its time to hook up to the HWH.

I have heard different stories from different folks on if its ok to plumb the supply into the Hot side. Some folks have told me it doesn't matter and some have said it greatly decreases the efficiency of your HWH.

I cant turn the unit around because my controls will be facing my chimney. Is it ok to plumb it reversed?

Also.. to make the job a little more annoying that's all the closer I can get the unit to the chimney which means I am gonna have to jog the pipes over with some 45s (best route).

Thanks folks... I figured its best to do this the right way instead of end up on some thread about hack jobs

Josh
    Attached Files

Re: Plumbing a Hot Water Heater Backward?

the dip tube Josh

Comment

Switch em'
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Where's your propress

Comment

Ricky must be asleep on the toilet again

Comment

Or the flexy water heater supplies x
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Unscrew both nipples, pull the diptube out of the cold side, insert into the hot side, and put the nipples back in.

Comment

see what happens when you don't have a roundup every year

josh, the heater is nothing more than a tank with an inlet and an outlet.

the difference is the inlet has a diptube that puts the cold water to the bottom and the outlet is nothing more than the connection at the top of the tank.

the diptube is typically a blue plastic tub that can be removed and reinstalled in the other port.

where. is the propress

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                  Unscrew both nipples, pull the diptube out of the cold side, insert into the hot side, and put the nipples back in.
                  Ever try that lately on a bradford

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    see what happens when you don't have a roundup every year

josh, the heater is nothing more than a tank with an inlet and an outlet.

the difference is the inlet has a diptube that puts the cold water to the bottom and the outlet is nothing more than the connection at the top of the tank.

the diptube is typically a blue plastic tub that can be removed and reinstalled in the other port.

where. is the propress

rick.
                    See,told ya.
                    You keep doo-ing that rick and your gonna some nasty hangin' roids.

Comment

Hmmm.. so I have a GE hot water heater... 5 years old. Theoretically I should be able to switch hot and cold by switching the dip tube? May try that tomorrow. Either that or I will need to plumb it in really screwy (not really an option)

Do a lot of houses have water lines run like this. I cant imagine they ever had the hot water heater facing the chimney?

BTW.. thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to bed and will tackle this tomorrow AM. We will have to live with cold water tomorrow AM.

Comment

Diptubes are shorter than they use to be. The shorter diptube helps the water heater operate in a wider range of conditions that can be imposed on the heater by the end users.

Boy that sounds smart.

Comment

Johs, should have rung me. I would love to jump on a plane and help you out. Never know, could have made it worthwhile and called in on Rick for a ProPres initiation........!!!!! Interesting to hear the comments that you can swap connections that easy. Another lesson learnt today

Comment

josh has access to all the toys. i remember when he undertook a large copper repair. he used propress. but he also likes to solder and perfect his skill of soldering.

me, on the otherhand, if i have the propress fittings, i press it and forget it

i have enough lead in my system to require the doctors to be lead certified

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

With the dip tube now reversed, won't he be pushing sediment towards the drain valve?

Removing and swapping nipples and the dip tube is way more of a PITA than adding a few extra 90's.

shouldn't the ground wire be on the COLD side?

Comment

Working...
                              X