Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are "bog box" water heatersame as name brands?

Are they not made by the name brand manufacturers?

Is a "big box" (Home Depot, Lowe's) water heater a better buy for the money?

Any recommendations?
    (My widow friend isaving money for one.)

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Are "bog box" water heatersame as name brands?

I buy them because they have the same warranty as Bradford White (the ones that my wholesaler carries) and are about $70.00 cheaper.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      Are they not made by the name brand manufacturers?

Is a "big box" (Home Depot, Lowe's) water heater a better buy for the money?

Any recommendations?
      (My widow friend isaving money for one.)

Thank you.

I've heard that most water heaters are actually made in about 4 plants and other brands privately labeled from there. True or not, I have no proof. I also don't know if the material specifications are the same on "privatized" lines. Maybe glass lining is a few mills thicker on major label brands. This is important info which we simply don't have access to. I normally install AO Smith and have never had a problem with one I've installed. (Except one commercial unit about 15 years back)

I've had to do repairs on some Rheem units I didn't install.
      I've had to do repairs on a couple of GE water heaters customers got at Home Depot.
      I've had to do repairs on "American" brand water heaters.
      I'm sure other plumbers will have had different experiences.

Personally, I would get a water heater with a six year warranty, and install a 2nd anode in the hot water side. This will sacrifice itself and help the tank last longer.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Re: Are "bIg box" water heatersame as name brands?

One brand that I use from big box is the same as the supply house brand that I use other than the plastic drain valve. The big box water heater has the plastic drain valve. It takes 3 minutes to replace the drain valve with a brass one.

And like the above poster I save about $70-80. Same warranty and big box is open on sunday morning and I dont hafta call anyone to make a special trip to the supply house for them to act like they are doing me a favor.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          I've heard that most water heaters are actually made in about 4 plants and other brands privately labeled from there. True or not, I have no proof. I also don't know if the material specifications are the same on "privatized" lines. Maybe glass lining is a few mills thicker on major label brands. This is important info which we simply don't have access to. I normally install AO Smith and have never had a problem with one I've installed. (Except one commercial unit about 15 years back)

I've had to do repairs on some Rheem units I didn't install.
          I've had to do repairs on a couple of GE water heaters customers got at Home Depot.
          I've had to do repairs on "American" brand water heaters.
          I'm sure other plumbers will have had different experiences.

Personally, I would get a water heater with a six year warranty, and install a 2nd anode in the hot water side. This will sacrifice itself and help the tank last longer.
          Over 90% of the water heater repair calls I get are either A.O Smith or whirlpool. Thats saying alot when most water heaters here are Rheem or Rudd.

Rheem sells a warranty upgrade kit that consists of an anode rod that scews into the hot side. I think it adds 6 more years to the warranty but it could be only 3....or other I'm not sure. Not sure if it is still true but at one time the differences between a 5 year heater and a 10 year warranty was price and nothing more.

Comment

Geno and the Master know what I know...I like Rheem/Rudd gas and A.O. Smith Electrics....Stay away from Whirlpool...JUNK ALERT!!!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

whirlpool is owned by a.o. smith.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I buy A.O. Smith from my wholesaler for a good 60 bucks less than the box stores but then again we buy them by the pallet load. Last year I think we went though close to 200. I buy NOTHING from the big box stores. If it was Sunday and they were the only store open and I needed a 1/2" copper elbow the job would wait till Monday then again My stock room has more stock than most box stores. Well at least more useable stock.
                sigpic

Comment

I can get a 40 gal gas with 6 yr tank warranty for 323.00 out the door at big box. Made by Rheem.

Comment

g.e. heaters are made by rheem.

a o smith owns american appliance.

home depot seems to be more lenient on the returns. they don't charge a handling fee or an upgrade charge.

problem is you loose an hour plus on the paper work and return line if you have a warranty return.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

How much are you guys paying for a 30 gallon and a 40, just courious
                      I understand if you do not want to say
                      But I find home depot to be way more than I pay at the supply house for water heaters

Comment

If I told you I'd have to kill you.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hulihan View Post
                          How much are you guys paying for a 30 gallon and a 40, just courious
                          I understand if you do not want to say
                          But I find home depot to be way more than I pay at the supply house for water heaters
                          craig, remember that these guys don't need the lo nox models like us. so figure at least 100 less than us

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I needed a cordless screw driver and went to the Depot last night, I was confused with all the choices, I just wanted one with two battery's and will last, man there are alot of choices, went with the Milliwakaee , has this cute little light to see in the dark I guess, they no longer make tools like they did when I started this journey They are probably better now and very pretty ! But I was a tad bummed at how bad the tool guys english was, I so wish I took spanish in high school and not french, but who would of known we would get invaded

Comment

Originally posted by Hulihan View Post
                              I needed a cordless screw driver and went to the Depot last night, I was confused with all the choices, I just wanted one with two battery's and will last, man there are alot of choices, went with the Milliwakaee , has this cute little light to see in the dark I guess, they no longer make tools like they did when I started this journey They are probably better now and very pretty ! But I was a tad bummed at how bad the tool guys english was, I so wish I took spanish in high school and not french, but who would of known we would get invaded
                              I drive 3" torx coated deck screws with my milwaulkee m12 driver.....it has great torque. Its slower than the 18v's and its not impact but its powerful. I think you will enjoy it. My milwaukee m12 batteries do not like cold weather and I call cold under 50 degrees..mine just will not run cold. I started bringing them inside at night and keeping them in the front floor of the truck when its cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X