X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black cold water line?

Do you own the apartment or are you a tenant??

Comment

Originally posted by 59 WAGON MAN View Post
      Worked in brooklyn and manhattan for years. That my freind is theftproofing. We used to do it all the time saved the copper lots of time they didn't know when we put it in so it lasted
      Are you fair dinkum on this.........???????????????

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
        Do you own the apartment or are you a tenant??
        Both kinda. I own, but it is a co-op so technically I have a proprietary lease and own shares of the corporation. But the IRS considers it mine for tax purposes. Welcome to NY real estate. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
          no offense but I doubt it, it is in an inaccessible place in a residential building. Only way a thief is ripping this out is if he somehow breaks into 5 apartments all at the same time with a wreaking ball.

I think it is a chemical reaction, but the new super came over the other day and was shocked to see it as well. He was thinking it was fire damage but ruled it out quickly.
          I am not saying it is but in the chicago area in new construction theift is so bad with copper are bose would buy cases of black paint bad that was the aptc. job nere the end of the day to paint the copper black to make it look like cast worked pritty good a lot less got stolen but that was here and within the last few years that also dont look like paint
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

You'll see that on cold water lines for condensation...

It's copper's way of dealing with red and blue PEX...
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I wouldn't rule out Red brass pipe. I have a 116 unit apartment complex that I service that has all of the mains run in schedule 40 brass pipe. Risers are galvanized. The complex was built in 1945. The brass was used in lieu of lead to run from building to building (8 buildings).

All of the brass pipe that I have ever seen has had that black patina on it.

I see the patina on older copper (70's and 80's) (and old galvanized lines) too. I've always rationalized it as a means of controlling condensation which is a big problem in the North (especially in Spring when it's starting to warm up but the incoming water is 45 degrees or less).

I think that age and history of the building would probably tell us what the material is for sure (when the building was built and if there have been any major renovations or upgrades to the domestic water system).

Comment

yeah it's red brass, stamped 85 - 15.

Comment

I have seen copper wire turn black along with a few other metals in sewage lift stations. Methane tends to do that to copper. Maybe they had a bad leak at one time and it was enough to turn the copper before it got fixed.

Otherwise, I'm going with Redwood's theory.
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X