Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a spare hot surface ignitor for an 11-year-old furnace?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a spare hot surface ignitor for an 11-year-old furnace?

There is no warning before these fail, correct?

Do they have a typical service life?

If it fails on a Saturday evening, (which is when it would fail), could I.gnite the burners manually, or does the system dectect if the ignitor is glowing before opening the gas valve?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Buy a spare hot surface ignitor for an 11-year-old furnace?

Check the resistance across the two pins of the ignitor. If it's used in a Carrier or Bryant furnace, they recommend replacing after 90 ohms. As the ignitor ages the resistance rises. I have seen ignitors in the field with a resistance of + 125 ohms. The test should be performed when the ignitor is at room temperature.

In a pinch, with a failed ignitor, you can light the main burner with a match at the moment the main gas valve opens on a try for ignition, but I wouldn't recommend it. This will only buy you one heating cycle.

Best to have a spare on hand after the five year mark.

Comment

It never fails that mine always fail on a weekend. I have all goodman units so I alway keep two on hand as well as 1 draft inducer motor.

Comment

sure. if it makes you feel better by all means do it. i keep a thermocouple around for mine. breid.................

Comment

I kept having problems with a specific rental, they had a cat and were not good cleaners, so I bought 2 as spares to have around. A few months after I bought teh back-ups, they were evicted; and 2 years later, those 2 are still sitting in the storage cabinet. Wonder if they go bad sitting in their packaging too long?

Comment

they will not go bad sitting on the shelf. just keep them dry and leave them alone till you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              sure. if it makes you feel better by all means do it. i keep a thermocouple around for mine. breid......
              I don't wanto spend money.
              A thermocouple at least can be puchased at a hardware store or big box 7 days and the unit soon placed back in service.

Comment

so don't spend the money. breid....................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  so don't spend the money. breid....
                  Buying the spare will ensure thathe original willasthe life of the furnace.

Comment

Along with the igniter, you might also want to keep the following parts on standby: gas valve, fan blower motor, exhaust fan blower motor, temperature limit switch, pressure limit switches, circuit board, and while you're at it, also the heat exchanger. I have had all of the parts listed malfunction on my Carrier EXCEPT the igniter!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                      Along with the igniter, you might also want to keep the following parts on standby: gas valve, fan blower motor, exhaust fan blower motor, temperature limit switch, pressure limit switches, circuit board, and while you're at it, also the heat exchanger. I have had all of the parts listed malfunction on my Carrier EXCEPT the igniter!!!!!

This has some truth to it. I service all brands of furnaces, and you can not predict what or when something will fail. HSI elements can fail, but so can motors, gas valves, control boards, and anything else on that unit. You can do some pro-active maintenance on your furnace. Have a trained tech service it on a regular basis, annually or bi-annually. Most no heat calls I get are caused by filters not being changed monthly, flamerods needing cleaning, burners plugged with lint, etc. I do not recomend trying to do any servicing yourself even though you might want to save a buck. Especially if you have a 90% + condensing furnace.
                      At the very least keep the area clean, change your filter monthly, and keep the number of a tech you can call in anemergency that has stock of parts for your brand of furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                        ... gas valve, fan blower motor, exhaust fan blower motor, temperature limit switch, pressure limit switches, circuit board, and while you're at it, also the heat exchanger. I have had all of the parts listed malfunction on my Carrier EXCEPT the igniter!!!!!
                        Funny!
                        But not funny.
                        For our Rheem "Criterion" furnace I have a spare squirrel-cage blower which I could make work temporarily.
                        The limit switches I could wire around until replaced.

I keep everything clean.
                        Even take outhe blower and clean all the blades.
                        Clean the venturis and heat exchanger tubes inside where the flames shoot.

Wish our house had a wood-burning stove for power outages or furnace failures.

Comment

If there's one spare part I would keep on hand. It would be the HSI.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                            If there's one spare part I would keep on hand. It would be the HSI.
                            Found one for $20.81 which I'll get nextime downtown.

Is it possible to discern if one is wearing out?
                            Ours looks fine - no cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                              Found one for $20.81 which I'll get nextime downtown.

Is it possible to discern if one is wearing out?
                              Ours looks fine - no cracks.
                              You can do an OHM test on it but that might not tell you much if you don't know what the ohm reading should be.

Be sure that the sheild (on top, if it has one)there is no rust about to contact the HSI. Check the glow is uniform across the whole coil. Micro fractures can usually be seen then.

What ever you, DON"T touch the old one or the possible replacement with with your fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X