Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
4 inch lead elbow connection to a 4" cast iron stack has failed. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 inch lead elbow connection to a 4" cast iron stack has failed.

I would like to replace a failed 4 inch lead elbow draining a toilet with a plastic elbow. The stack is 4 inch cast iron hub. How do I trasition into the cast iron?

Re: 4 inch lead elbow connection to a 4" cast iron stack has failed.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings

Comment

I would use a 4" service weight gasket and then run PVC to the water closet
      it has worked well for us and have not had a call back yet. Much better than trying to get a fernco coupling over the hub of the cast and not have problems down the road.
      Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
      Attachment
      Attached Files
      Mike

Comment

Topdawg,
        So how does that fitting work? You put the rubber gasket into the cast hub? Then screw in the PVC transition in? Then glue your PVC pipe to it? I've never seen that fitting...always used Fernco.

Comment

no screwing a transition in, that rubber gasket is used in lieu of lead, just push it into the hub, then push the pipe in. I have used them on occasion, the important part is to strap the heck out of the pipe, don't want anything wiggling later.

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
          Topdawg,
          So how does that fitting work? You put the rubber gasket into the cast hub? Then screw in the PVC transition in? Then glue your PVC pipe to it? I've never seen that fitting...always used Fernco.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I like that, i have never seen that fitting before, I will have to talk to the local wholesaler about bringing a couple of those in.

Comment

It's not easy...

A job I did a couple years ago that shows how I went ahead and pulled the floor (deteriorated) and reinstalled PVC, removing the lead.

It's not easy driving that service weight gasket inside that hub. Takes some good plumbing skills to do so.

All we was contracted to do was replace that bend. That's a tee laying on its side, flat vent heading to a bathroom wall. You know the reason why someone replaced it with PVC years ago... it was full of crap and ate through it.

House was 130 years old, absolutely was not allowed to touch those joists. 19' in length, the wall where the vent turned up isn't a full partition, non load bearing. They wanted to move that bathroom and I told them they can't.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-18-2011, 11:05 PM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by danrufo View Post
                I would like to replace a failed 4 inch lead elbow draining a toilet with a plastic elbow. The stack is 4 inch cast iron hub. How do I trasition into the cast iron?

danrufo:

1. You need to identify whether your cast iron is service weight or extra heavy cast iron. Somewhere on the hub there will be cast letters. Either SV or XH. The diameter of the push gasket for each type cast is slightly different so it's important to get the right gasket. I've found that Fernco and Mission gaskets are sized slightly differently and will try to have one of each on hand. (Not all cast is created equal)

2. Cut out the lead bend, the brass ferrule in the hub, and also the lead and oakum in the hub. Thoroughly clean the hub. The cleaner the better.

3. Insert the push gasket into the hub. If you think the fit doesn't seem particularly tight or, if you are paranoid of leaks like me, you can use silicone between the gasket and the hub.

4. You can now pipe the closet bend. I put an exaggerated bevel on the end of the pipe to be inserted into the push gasket. I also use a lubricant (usually silicone caulk) to make it even easier to insert the pipe into the gasket. If you're using PVC or ABS don't use an oil based lubricant. The better the bevel the less important the lubricant.

Good luck sir!
                Last edited by geno gardner; 03-19-2011, 12:58 AM.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

FYI. Geno Gardner is from Shoreview, Mn (a suburb of St. Paul, Mn.). St. Paul was one of the last, if not THE last places to allow anything but lead connections from fixtures to waste lines. I don't know Geno, but I will wager he has lots of experience changing out connections like this and I would strongly urge everyone not familiar with lead connections to heed his advice.

Comment

If there is enough of the brass caulking ferrule to connect a fernco to...thats all you need.

Comment

Dunbar, nice job destroying that beam...

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                        Unless he cut that beam 50 something years ago during the original install, my guess would be it was someone else.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

A job I did a couple years ago that shows how I went ahead and pulled the floor (deteriorated) and reinstalled PVC, removing the lead.

It's not easy driving that service weight gasket inside that hub. Takes some good plumbing skills to do so.

All we was contracted to do was replace that bend. That's a tee laying on its side, flat vent heading to a bathroom wall. You know the reason why someone replaced it with PVC years ago... it was full of crap and ate through it.

House was 130 years old, absolutely was not allowed to touch those joists. 19' in length, the wall where the vent turned up isn't a full partition, non load bearing. They wanted to move that bathroom and I told them they can't.
                          Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                          You crack me up dlarrivee,

You obviously look at pictures and don't read.

Read my statements added to the picture, zoom in and look at the cuts where that penetrates the joist. Does that look fresh cut, or did ja think I shoe polished that 50 year old look.

I clearly put it into text, cannot touch those joists. The historic district even complained about that subfloor, wanting as little as possible replaced.
                          Attached Files
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

It looks like part of the cast iron hub is halfway thru the beam already...so unless dunbar put in the iron hub then the pvc I say its original...IMO
                            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              If there is enough of the brass caulking ferrule to connect a fernco to...thats all you need.
                              Melting the old lead wiped joint can be messy and then we have to breathe the lead fumes. We're disturbing the caulked joint heat and I've found it's about the same time to just cut the old lead bend and caulked joint out with a sawzall. Plus, then the owner has the benefit of a new joint.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. If someone is comfortable leaving a forty - eighty year old piece of brass with an unknown life expectancy installed then that's their business.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X