Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Certificate of Insurance?

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
    No, I am the customer, but I think I can get away with providing the management company the scope of work form if the plumber scoffs. I think what the building really cares about is the insurance form with them added as additional insured.

I was just highlighting the fact that it is a simple fixture replacement. However, since it is broken, how can the plumber really provide anyone with a scope of work before hand. He is not psychic. If all goes as planned, extra long hex wrench, pipe wrench and a torch, or, cut off fixture, if it is really bad. But if the pipe snaps, well then the scope just got blown out of the water.
    Okay...what fixture are you dealing with? the reason I ask is most real good plumbers should be able to ask the right questions and be able to shoot a guestimate within about 10% on most stuff unless were dealing with something very specific or higher end...I mean is this a 200 or 300 or 400 job?? I'm also curious who's paying the bill you or them?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Would any of you have a problem providing a short scope of work statement to a building management company?

I would assume you could just write "this does not constitute a written or implied contract, all rights reserved" and that would cover any of those concerns.

But, like I said, I think the building just asks for this but if it is not provided, or if I myself just send it to them, they would be fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        It sounds like you're just getting your foot in the door. If it were me, I would consider getting a new customer and future work and word of mouth. So they want a quote and a certificate of insurance, it's not that big a deal. (Just my two cents)
        My foot might not need to be in that door..Again $$$ talks
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
          Okay...what fixture are you dealing with? the reason I ask is most real good plumbers should be able to ask the right questions and be able to shoot a guestimate within about 10% on most stuff unless were dealing with something very specific or higher end...I mean is this a 200 or 300 or 400 job?? I'm also curious who's paying the bill you or them?
          I am paying the bill. I have the replacement fixture already. No parts required (unless the brass supply line breaks). It is seized, but my super was afraid to really give it his all because he didn't want to break the pipe, and he didn't have a torch. I assume hitting it with some heat and maybe striking it could loosen it up. Also a longer wrench, we only had a 12".

Comment

Most property management companies require a certificate of insurance. The condo owner doesn't own the building...just inside his walls. The building owner requires everyone that works in his building to provide proof they actually have insurance. I dont blame them.

Comment

I have no problem giving the proof of insurance to anyone for any size job, but I will not call or email my agent to add someone as a named unless there is over 10k coming my way, then after the work call and email and remove the condo board no thanks. But I have been in this situation many times, it is simple the board rules where really written for larger jobs, so once the scope of the work is made showing how small it is just supply the insurance info for the records.......done! Works every time!
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I am paying the bill. I have the replacement fixture already. No parts required (unless the brass supply line breaks). It is seized, but my super was afraid to really give it his all because he didn't want to break the pipe, and he didn't have a torch. I assume hitting it with some heat and maybe striking it could loosen it up. Also a longer wrench, we only had a 12".
                Man I don't get how your paying the bill but you gotta do all this stuff, isn't that why you paid to live there? IDK...like everybody says getting a certificate is easy...if it was me I would just submit my own scope of work and get somebody in there....

Derek

Comment

I have worked at some condos that where acting like little cities! We had to get a work permit from the condo board and there where very restrictive noise rules and all workers must leave by 3:30pm oh man I hated that place.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

the whole situation is a pain in the a$$. They already have $1000 of mine that I cut them as a deposit just so I can get this work done, I have $300,000 of liability on my own insurance that they have on file.

I bet if the plumber just sent them the proof on insurance without the building named, it would get approved. I think they ask for more than they expect.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Most property management companies require a certificate of insurance. The condo owner doesn't own the building...just inside his walls. The building owner requires everyone that works in his building to provide proof they actually have insurance. I dont blame them.
                      Neither do I ..Just think if everytime you showed up to do a job the customer requested to see your proof of insurance and plumbing license .Or they would not let you in the premises..there would be a lot more work for legit people..I'm all for that

Comment

Anyone have the odds on breaking a 1.5"(i think) brass supply line?

This is really all that I care about, and not because I am worried, but that it would require 4 other apartments to go without water until it can be fixed.

I assume the average NYC plumber sees this sort of thing all the time. Literally hundreds of thousands of apartments have the exact setup I have, with 50 year old failed valves. And since some of you guys would have no problem providing the paper work I assume most NYC plumbers would not either, considering 90% of all dwellings are co-op apartments.

If they didn't they would be out of business.

Now since I have the replacement parts already are they gonna hit me up extra on labor?
                        Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Sure ..They are not making anything off parts..And there will be no warranty on customer provided equipment ..more than likely

Comment

Anyone have the odds on breaking a 2" brass supply line?

This is really all that I care about, and not because I am worried, but that it would require 4 other apartments to go without water until it can be fixed.

I assume the average NYC plumber sees this sort of thing all the time. Literally hundreds of thousand apartments have the exact setup I have, with 50 year old failed valves. And since some of you guys would have no problem providing the paper work I assume most NYC plumbers would not either, considering 90% of all dwellings are co-op apartments.

If they didn't they would be out of business.

Now since I have the replacement parts already are they gonna hit me up extra on labor?
                            Ask the association what plumbing companies they have on file with proof of insurance already.

Comment

Extra labor for what?

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                                Extra labor for what?
                                To make up for not supplying the material..

Comment

Working...
                                X